Chris Milburn has provided expert damage quantification and business valuation consulting services since 1997. He has acted as an advisor to private and public companies, regulatory bodies and governments across a wide range of industries. Chris’ work experience cover matters in Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia, South America, the Middle East and Africa. His areas of specialty include quantifying economic damages for international arbitrations, business valuations, commercial litigation, and insurance litigation.
Chris has qualified as an expert witness and has provided testimony relating to the quantification of economic damages.
Representative cases include:
- Quantifying economic damages in a commercial dispute involving a large copper and gold deposit in Asia: Managed project team and prepared expert report calculating damages to the claimant under the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Act. Matter resolved;
- Quantifying economic damages related to a copper/cobalt mining project in Africa: Managed project team in the preparation of a critique report of the claimant’s expert report in an investor-state dispute under the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).Matter resolved;
- Quantifying economic damages related to an iron ore mining project in Western Africa: Managed multi-discipline project team including iron ore economists, corporate finance experts, mining engineers, and geologists and prepared expert report on economic damages sustained by the claimant in an investor-state dispute under the ICC. Matter resolved;
- Quantifying economic damages sustained by electricity generation companies in Eastern Europe: Prepared joint expert report with regulatory economists contributing opinion of lost profits to the claimant resulting from various actions of government regulatory agencies in a case with the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Matter is ongoing;
- Quantifying economic damages sustained by an insurance company in South America: Prepared expert report as to th damages sustained by the claimant following measures taken by the government during and subsequent to a national economic crisis in an investor-state dispute under ICSID. Matter resolved;
- Quantifying economic damages related to a textile company in Northern Africa: Prepared expert report quantifying damages sustained by the claimant following actions of governmental agencies that resulted in the expropriation of various business interests in the country in an investor-state case with ICSID. Matter resolved;
- Quantifying economic damages related to the remediation of hazardous wastes in the United States. Prepared expert report quantifying the economic damages sustained by a US claimant against the Canadian government under the NAFTA. Matter resolved;
- Quantification of damages related to a dispute under the ICC over the reasonability of costs incurred by a contract miner for a silver, zinc and lead mine in South America. Matter is ongoing;
- Valuation of gold mineral assets for company with production and exploration stage mineral properties in South America following nationalization by Government. Matter is ongoing;
- Valuation of gold mineral assets for two companies with exploration stage mineral properties in South America following nationalization. Matter is ongoing;
- Valuation of copper and molybdenum mineral assets for company with exploration stage mineral properties in South America following expropriation. Matters are ongoing;
- Valuation of gold mineral assets for company with development stage mineral properties in Eastern Europe in connection with investor/state dispute. Matter is ongoing;
- Valuation of family trust companies involved in the power generation industry in the Middle East for tax purposes;
- Valuation of a hotel and casino located in Western Asia in ICSID arbitration. Matter resolved;
- Valuation of the intangible assets related to a Canadian pharmaceutical company in litigation. Matter resolved;
- Valuation of a financial transaction processing business located in Canada and the United States. Matter resolved;
- Valuation of a Canadian network management software business for tax purposes. Matter resolved;
- Valuation of a Canadian reinforcing steel company in a litigation matter. Matter is ongoing;
- Valuation of a Canadian asset management company. Matter resolved; and,
- Valuation of an international media replication company based in Canada.
- Managing Director, FTI Consulting Canada ULC – April 2009 to Present
- Senior Managing Consultant, LECG Canada Ltd. – April 2007 to March 2009
- Senior Consultant, LECG Canada Ltd. – March 2004 to March 2007
- Senior Consultant, Low Rosen Taylor Soriano – May 2001 to April 2004
- Consultant, Low Rosen Taylor Soriano – April 1998 to April 2001
- Consultant, Arthur Anderson – April 1997 to March 1998
- Co-author, “Valuation of “Start-Up Oil and Gas and Mining Projects”. Global Arbitration Review, the Arbitration Review of the Americas 2011;
- Developed the course materials for and acted as an expert witness in mock hearings for the FIAA Expert Witness Trial Practice Programs held in Lausanne Switzerland in 2008-2009 and Paris 2011;
- Involved as a speaker and faculty member in various advocacy training programs in Canada; and,
- Author of educational materials for the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators and have been involved in the qualification process since 2005.