Steve Huyghe is the Head of the Construction Solutions Asia practice of FTI Consulting and he is based in Hong Kong, with additio nal offices located in Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo. He is responsible for the planning and direction of FTI Construction Solutions activities in Asia. Mr. Huyghe is an internationally recognised expert regarding projects in distress or litigation. He assists owners, contractors, designers, and legal counsel, providing expert witness and project advisory services on complex construction projects.
Mr. Huyghe’s prior experiences include over two decades as a General Contractor, responsible for all phases of construction, from pre-construction and estimating to planning and programming, through project execution and close-out. He has constructed numerous industrial facilities such as oil refineries, uranium recovery mines, chemical plants, water and wastewater treatment facilities, large infrastructure projects and high-rise developments.
Mr. Huyghe has regularly provided both Planning and Quantum Expert Witness services over the past 22 years, and he is highly regarded around the world in the construction sector for his ability to provide expert analysis and opinion on the impacts of project delay, disruption, contractor due diligence, construction means and methods, labour productivity, resources, work changes, and quantum.
His expert services have been required for large international construction projects in locations including Kuwait, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Mexico, Brazil, Guam, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, the US, Europe, Canada, and the UK.
He has given evidence in ICC Arbitrations, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), US State and Federal Courts, US Boards of Contract Appeals, and numerous mediations. For the last twelve years, his time has been devoted to the analysis and resolution of international disputes.
Mr. Huyghe often lectures and conducts training programs for contractors, municipalities, and owners on a variety of construction management topics such as claims prevention and mitigation, and project planning and execution. He has spoken at numerous seminars and conferences worldwide and is an established author of articles for construction-related publications.
Mr. Huyghe is a practising member of RICS and the Academy of Experts.
Prior Industry Experience
Activities generally included:
- Construction of infrastructure projects, industrial process facilities, power plants, mining operations, oil, steel, chemical, and environmental projects. He successfully rose through the ranks, working as a Draftsman, Field Layout Engineer, Project Engineer, Estimator, CPM department lead, Superintendent, Project Manager and Construction Manager.
- As President of a large construction company, he was responsible for construction operations, including estimating, programming, contract negotiations, labour negotiations and all field operations.
- Provided leadership and direction to project teams and to clients as Chief Executive Officer and Partner of a large construction management firm.
- Achieved international recognition in the construction sector for providing Project Advisory Services and for providing expert witness services pertaining to labour productivity, programme analysis, delay, disruption and impact evaluation, quantum, construction contracts, project management and project costs.
- Has analysed and evaluated major international environmental, infrastructure, and industrial construction projects and facilitated the settlement of ongoing disputes.
- Lectured and hosted seminars, and provided training to owners, contractors, universities and clients on topics such as programming, construction management, dispute resolution and claims mitigation.
Provision of Expert Advice or acting as Independent Expert Witness on major construction project disputes. Matters generally included establishment of extensions of time, prolongation, delay and disruption, resources and contractors due diligence, construction means and methods, complex variations and finance charges. A selection of projects whereby expert witness services were provided is listed below.
- Arab Highway – Lebanon (Highest Viaduct ever built in the Middle East)
- Jumeirah Lakes Towers Garage Development – Dubai, UAE
- Cadereyta Refinery – Mexico
- Royal Palm Resort – Guam
- Tren Urbano Phase I – San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Santa Ynez Oil Treatment Facility – Santa Barbara, California
- Atlantic Avenue Water Pollution Control Plant – Thunder Bay, Ontario
- MacDill AFB Co-Generation Plants (2) – Tampa, Florida
- Southeast Resource Recovery Power Plant – Long Beach, California
- NAS Steel Mill-Melting Shop – Ghent, Kentucky
- Eastside Reservoir – Winchester, California
- Atlanta-Fulton County Water Treatment Plant Expansion, Phase II – Atlanta, Georgia
- Hyperion Wastewater Treatment Plant, Digesters – Los Angeles, California
- Jonathan W. Rogers Water Treatment Plant – El Paso, Texas
- Long Beach Water Treatment Plant – Long Beach, California
- Quincy Sludge Processing Facilities – Boston, Massachusetts
- S.A. Healy Water Treatment – El Paso, Texas
- T.Z. Osborne Wastewater Treatment Plant – Greensboro, North Carolina
- Upper Occoquan Sewage Project – Fairfax City, Virginia
- Disney Concert Hall – Los Angeles, California
- Guest Quarters Hotel – Santa Monica, California
- Palms Condominium – Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel – Pasadena, California
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Laboratory – Colorado
- Detroit Veterans Administration Medical Center – Detroit, Michigan
- Norris Cancer Research Center, As-Built – Los Angeles, California
- Slavkin Laboratory, Phase II, University of South California – Los Angeles, California
- Central Jail – Los Angeles, California
- Lynwood Regional Justice Center, Jensen – Lynwood, California
- Mountain View High School – Boise, Idaho
Publications and Presentations
- “How to Mitigate Claims and Resolve Disputes”, CMAA National Conference, San Diego, California, October 2002
- “Project Monitoring and Claims Mitigation”, The Public Construction SuperConference, December 2001
- “Mega Projects-‘Innovative Ways to Proactively Manage Projects and Mitigate Claims’”, Forbes Conference on Construction, New York, New York, December 2000 -- Accompanying Papers: “Project Monitoring and Claims Mitigation” and “Before Construction Begins” (co-authored with David S. Pattillo, President and Chief Operating Officer of A.W. Hutchison & Associates, LLC)
- “Everything is Changing”, Construction SuperConference, San Francisco, California, December 2000
- “Help Mitigate Construction Delays – Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants”, The Millennium Construction SuperConference, December 1999
- Alston & Bird, LLP Seminar, “Avoiding Delay and Acceleration Claims”, Atlanta, Georgia November 2005
- CMAA National Conference, “A Practical Course of Action for Claims Prevention and Avoidance”, San Antonio, Texas, September 2004
- Western Council of Construction Consumers Seminar, “Charting the Course to Claims Resolution”, Long Beach, California, May 2004
- Claims Mitigation Seminar – SKANSKA – Raleigh, North Carolina, December 2003
- Claims Mitigation Seminar – Manhattan Construction Co. – Atlanta, Georgia, December 2003
- Alston & Bird’s “Avoiding Construction Claims” Seminar, Washington, DC, November 2003
- “Views From The Inside Out”, Construction SuperConference, San Francisco, California, December 2002
- CMAA National Conference, San Diego, California, October 2002
- Potts Construction Company, Conyers, Georgia, July 2002
- Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, Georgia, March 2002
- The Public Construction SuperConference, San Francisco, California, December 2001
- CMAA Atlanta Chapter Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2001
- Forbes “Everything is Changing”, Construction SuperConference, San Francisco, California, December 2000
- ABA 2000 Forum on Construction Annual Meeting, “The Construction Lawyer’s Toolbox”, Washington, D.C., May 2000
- The Millennium Construction SuperConference, San Francisco, California, December 1999
- New York City Transit, “Claims Mitigation Training Program”