Supporting ABB Grain on its AU$2.1 billion Cross-Border Merger
FTI Consulting provided strategic communications support to ABB Grain on its AU$2.1 billion merger with Canadian agribusiness firm Viterra.
- The transaction raised concerns over foreign ownership of vital components of Australian infrastructure.
- Concerns escalated following the departure of two ABB Grain directors, including the CEO.
- The complexity of the offer in consideration, which included Viterra shares and the need for Australian shareholders to accept foreign scrip, were being looked at cautiously.
- There was uncertainty over future dividend payments, which many ABB Grain shareholders relied on.
FTI Consulting’s Role
- Working closely with Viterra, the team ensured there was a coordinated communication program that could be rolled out effectively.
- The team developed targeted messaging for different stakeholders, including growers, customers, employees, national and rural media.
- We conducted research and proxy solicitation support to encourage a supportive vote.
- At every step, we ensured communications activities fit with legal restrictions.