When a company faces a transformational event such as an initial public offering (IPO), sale, carve-out, merger or acquisition, the chief financial officer (CFO) often is burdened with most of the work in preparing for and managing the process. But such events frequently require more resources and experience than are available internally. IPOs, in particular, require a long preparation process with extensive planning across multiple workstreams touching every department within a company. The Office of the CFO Solutions team at FTI Consulting creates value for our clients by managing the path to an event across all critical workstreams.
Drawing upon our deep expertise in capital markets, corporate finance and communications, we identify and assess operational gaps and provide guidance and support to bridge those gaps. More important, we work alongside the CFO to form a sustainable foundation for operational success following the event, whether the organization is operating as a public company or as a standalone entity.
A key to successfully planning for an event is performing a detailed, data-driven assessment of company-wide strategic, organizational and operational readiness. Our team of experienced professionals can complete an assessment within a short time frame using performance management tools, evaluating where operational gaps exist in the areas of people, process and technology. We provide candid, unbiased recommendations and prioritized steps, time requirements, resource needs and the cost required to function following the event.
When pursuing a complex transition that involves every aspect of a company already stressed with daily activities, demands and routines, it is imperative to build an experienced and centralized Project Management Office (PMO). FTI Consulting has the experience, tools and methodologies to make sure a project stays on track. From establishing proper governance to creating an efficient reporting process, we partner with the CFO and project lead to ensure the company is prepared, milestones are met and priorities are managed effectively.
Our PMO team effectively manages resources and priorities and identifies areas that may have resource constraints or lack specific expertise. We also oversee the use of external resources, ensuring adherence to an approved budget and coordination across all teams. Acting as the point through which the entire spectrum of internal and external communications flows, the PMO team supports the CFO and project lead in directing each activity to the relevant teams and resources. This role becomes critical as the number of teams increases with input from legal counsel, underwriters, audit partners and other external consultants.
For many companies, the preparation required to function as a company following an event is more time consuming than for the actual event. With IPOs, for example, areas such as human resources, treasury, legal, tax and internal audit must adapt to public company requirements with accounting and finance facing the greatest challenges.
FTI Consulting has professionals with extensive U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) experience to assist in managing the complexities of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and SEC reporting requirements.
Additionally, FTI Consulting has deep experience in the following areas:
- SEC pre-clearance issues and waiver requests
- Close process improvement
- Accounting risk management
- Treasury cash management systems
- Financial modeling, forecasting and analysis
- Information technology systems assessment
- Human capital performance and change management
Our Strategic Communications team offers comprehensive counsel and a multi-stakeholder approach to manage a company’s reputation and maintain key stakeholder support. We design internal and external communications strategies and develop materials announcing a merger, sale, financial transaction or IPO launch. Specifically, our Strategic Communications experts provide counsel and support in the following areas:
- Market research and reputational risk assessment
- Corporate positioning and messaging materials development
- Public company communications infrastructure build-out
- IPO and merger integration programs
- Public market, regulatory and media training for executives
- Employee engagement and change management
Client Success Stories
- Performed IPO assessment for a national hospitality company, identifying key operational gaps and resources required to become a public company.
- Managed a multibillion dollar IPO readiness project, including an accompanying debt refinancing.
- Acted as interim management in financial planning and analysis and improved the five-year financial model in advance of the IPO for a global hospitality company.
- Developed an internal and external communications strategy, trained executives on public company responsibilities and regulations, and assisted in the road show process leading up to the IPO of a luxury retailer.