Daniel E. Roffman
- Managing Director
- T: +1 312 252 9377
- F: +1 312 759 8119
- 227 West Monroe Street
- Suite 900
- Chicago, IL, 60606
- United States
- T: +1 312 759 8100
- F: +1 312 759 8119
- B.S., Information Systems, Citation in Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business
- Citation in Entrepreneurship
- EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE)
- High Technology Crime Investigation Association
- The American Society of Digital Forensics & eDiscovery
- Association of Litigation Support Professionals
Daniel Roffman is a Managing Director at FTI in the Computer Forensics practice of the Technology segment. Mr. Roffman is an expert in computer forensics, eDiscovery, and cyber investigations.
For the past ten years, Mr. Roffman has provided computer forensic and eDiscovery consulting services to corporations around the globe in support of litigation and investigations. He has provided oral and written testimony in both civil and criminal matters in the U.S. and abroad. Mr. Roffman currently supervises FTI’s computer forensic labs and staff in Chicago and New York. Prior to joining FTI, Mr. Roffman worked in the Criminal Division of the United States Department of Justice.
In 2016, Mr. Roffman testified before Judge Guzman (U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Illinois) regarding the misappropriation of trade secrets by a former employee of a global industrial technology provider. Amongst other things, Mr. Roffman testified about the employee’s transfer of trade secrets over VPN and USB devices. Mr. Roffman’s testimony led to a favorable ruling for FTI’s client.
In 2013, Mr. Roffman testified before Judge Kendall (U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Illinois) regarding the author of fraudulent financial documents supplied by a seller seeking to inflate the $9 million dollar sale price of her business. Mr. Roffman also provided expert testimony on the authenticity of fabricated emails that supported the fraudulent financial statements.
In 2011, Mr. Roffman led an investigation into the theft of trade secrets by a financial analyst at a Chicago-based hedge fund who attempted to cover-up his theft by disposing hard drives in a sanitary canal. FTI later recovered six hard drives underwater and found the client’s trade secrets on them. Mr. Roffman presented his findings to FBI agents, leading to the arrest of two former employees. In 2014, both pled guilty to federal charges. Mr. Roffman provided an affidavit for their sentencing.
In 2011, Mr. Roffman worked with a team of FTI investigators appointed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York to be the independent monitor for PokerStars, the world’s largest online poker website. Mr. Roffman developed technology that checked the location of PokerStars’ players to ensure compliance with PokerStars’ agreement with the U.S. Government. He also led a team that covertly tested PokerStars’ security measures. FTI’s compliance reports to the DOJ helped pave the way for PokerStars’ to settle their case with the U.S. Government.
In 2010, Mr. Roffman was appointed by Judge Pierce (Circuit Court of Cook County) as an expert in computer forensics and eDiscovery. Mr. Roffman reported to the court about alterations made to emails during discovery on a real estate dispute.
During his time at FTI, Mr. Roffman has spoken at numerous conferences and training seminars on computer forensics, data security, social media collections and trade secrets theft. He has also authored whitepapers and articles on these topics.
- Affidavit, August 30, 2016 – TP Group-CI, Inc. v. Steven R. Smith and William Dean Wallace. Case No. 1:16-cv-07463, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Oral Deposition, June 27, 2016 - Penny Davenport, et al. v. Charter Communications, LLC, Case No. 4:12CV0007 AGF, United States District Court, Eastern District Of Missouri, Eastern Division
- Affidavit, August 15, 2016 – TP Group-CI, Inc. v. Steven R. Smith and William Dean Wallace. Case No. 1:16-cv-07463, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Expert Report, June 27, 2016 - Penny Davenport, et al. v. Charter Communications, LLC, Case No. 4:12CV0007 AGF, United States District Court, Eastern District Of Missouri, Eastern Division
- Affirmation, June 14, 2016 - Medidata Solutions, Inc. v. Michael Petrarca And Bioclinica, Inc. Index No.: 652501/2016, Supreme Court Of The State Of New York, County Of New York
- Affidavit, May 31, 2016 – Kelly Hespe v. City of Chicago et al. Case No. 13 C 7998, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Expert Report, May 11, 2016 – Flextronics International USA, Inc., v. SDS-IC Ltd, SDS-IC-HK Ltd, and Aaron Serge Bueno (a/k/a “Serge Joseph Bueno”). Case No. 1:15-cv-04904, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Declaration, February 18, 2016 - Teledyne Technologies Incorporated v. Shekar. Case No. 1:2015cv01392, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Declaration, November 11, 2015 - Synopsys, Inc. V. Chao, et al., Case No. 3:15-cv-1953MO, United States District Court, District Of Oregon, Portland Division
- Written Affidavit, July 31, 2015 – Lutonix, Inc. and C.R. Bard, Inc. v. Christopher Barry, Case No 11313-VCL, In the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware
- Written Affidavit, July 30, 2015 – Lutonix, Inc. and C.R. Bard, Inc. v. Christopher Barry, Case No 11313-VCL, In the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware
- Oral Testimony, April 30, 2015 - Teledyne Technologies Incorporated v. Shekar. Case No. 1:2015cv01392, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Written Affidavit, December 29, 2014 – United States of America v. Yihao Pu and Sahil Uppal. Case No. 11 CR 699, United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division
- Oral Deposition, March 18, 2014 – Murphy v. NXP Semiconductor, et al. Case No. 1-10-CV-188679, Superior Court of the State of California for the County of Santa Clara
- Oral Testimony, November 1, 2013 – Echo v. Avidpath Inc., Docket No. 13 C 309, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Written Affidavit, March 7 , 2013 – Echo v. Avidpath Inc., Docket No. 13 C 309, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Expert Report, June 15, 2012 - Clarion Partners LLP v. Carlos Tommasi Villammi, et al. Case nos. 17581/JRF and ICC Arbitration 17548/JRF International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”) International Court of Arbitration, Mexico City, MEXICO
- Court Appointed Expert, November 24, 2010 – 1501 Feehanville LLC v. Michael W. Bishop and Cresa Partners, LLC. Case no. 08 L 013851, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
- Written Affidavit, November 18, 2010 – Fort Benning Family Communities, LLC v. American Management Services East LLC. Case No. SU10CV2025-F, Superior Court of Muscogee County, State of Georgia
- Written Affidavit, April 15, 2009 – Stanford International Bank Limited, et al. v. Ralph Janvey, et al. Case No. 500-11-036045-090, Superior Court, Province of Quebec, District of Montreal, CANADA
- Understanding remote collections for e-discovery: Benefits, pitfalls and use cases. InsideCounsel, May 16, 2014, Authors: Dan Roffman, Erik Hammerquist, James Scarazzo
- Five Tips for Managing Social Media and E-Discovery Collections. KMWorld, October 25, 2013, Authors: Dan Roffman, David Freskos
- Data Collection In A Social Media World. Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, June 21, 2013.
- Work with IT to build a defensible information management strategy. InsideCounsel, May 6, 2013.
- Game Change: Reevaluating Collection Processes in the Wake of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network Ruling. FTI Consulting Technology LLC, February 12, 2013, Authors: Dan Roffman, Veeral Gosalia, Ian Smith, Erik Hammerquist
- Data Deluge: The Problem Is, You Can't Keep Everything. Forbes July 5, 2012.
- IT Reduction: A Much-Needed Service, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel. May 18, 2012, Authors: Dan Roffman, Lawrence Briggi
Professional Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Warning – Blind Curves: How You Can Prevent Data Theft – 4/7/2016
- Compliance Governance and Oversight Counsel (CGOC) New York Regional: Protecting Your Organization from Data Theft – 3/11/2015
- Women in eDiscovery, St. Louis Chapter: Social Media Collection – 8/28/2014
- Social Media Bootcamp for E-Discovery – 5/16/2014, 5/28/2014, 6/13/2014, 3/12/2015
- Today’s General Counsel and Institute: The “eWorkplace” and its Impact on eDiscovery, Panelist, 6/10/2014
- Trade Secrets Theft: Addressing Evidence From Emerging Technologies – 5/30/2014
- ALM’s Law Technology News Webcast: Remote Collection: What is it, and Can it Reduce E-Discovery Costs? Moderator – 5/21/2014
- InsideCounsel SuperConference: Protecting Against IP Theft in Dynamic Work Environments– 5/15/2014
- InsideCounsel Global Lawyer Forum: Litigation Trends – 5/14/2014
- Legal Learning Series Social Media Bootcamp, Presenters: Dan Roffman & Ethan Wall – 4/24/2014
- E-Discovery and the Cloud: A Checklist for Success, Presenters: Dan Roffman & Joel Jacob – 2/11/2014
- Defensibly collecting all the relevant data (Cloud / Social Media / BYOD) – 11/19/2013
- Legal Learning Series eDiscovery Leadership Conference: E-Discovery in a Social Media World – 11/15/2013
- Data Theft “Dos and Don’ts” – 1/14/2013
- Trade Secrets Theft: Addressing Evidence from Emerging Technologies – 8/30/2012
- Fundamental Issues of Network Security and the Risks Facing Law Firms on Cyber Breaches – 5/17/2012
- Cyber Liability for Law Firms – 3/15/2012
- Cyber Liability for Hedge Funds – 2/14/2012
- Understanding the Impact of the iPad, Kindle & Other New Mobile Devices and Services on e-Discovery – 11/3/2010
- eDiscovery Cost Savings for Attorneys - 7/21/2010
- 2006 to Present: FTI Consulting
- 2014 to Present: Managing Director, Washington, DC
- 2011 to 2014: Managing Director, Chicago, IL
- 2010 to 2011: Director, Chicago, IL
- 2007 to 2010: Director, Washington, DC
- 2006 to 2007 : Senior Consultant, Washington, DC
- 2005 to 2005: Deloitte, New York, NY - Analytic & Forensic Technology Laboratory
- 2003 to 2005: United States Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Washington, DC – Child Exploitation & Obscenity Section, High Technology Investigative Unit
- 2000 to 2003: Shiron Associates, Elkins Park, PA – Information Technology Consulting
- 2000 to 2003: Sabre System, Inc., Warminster, PA – Information Technology Department
Awards & Recognition
- Certificate of Commendation from the US Attorney General, 2004