- Senior Director
- Economic & Financial Consulting
- T: +44 20 3727 1157
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- 200 Aldersgate
- Aldersgate Street
- London, EC1A 4HD
- United Kingdom
- T: +44 20 3727 1000
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- M.A., International Business and International Finance, Amity University
- B.Sc., Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, Bangalore University
- Financial Institutions
Karthik Balisagar is a Senior Director at FTI Consulting. He is a member of the Economic and Financial Consulting practice and is based in London. He has 12 years’ experience in valuation and transaction consulting. Karthik specialises in banking and asset management valuation issues in the context of international arbitration and litigation.
Over the past decade, Karthik has carried out over 300 valuations and advised banks, private equity firms, institutional investors and corporates in Europe, Asia and the United States, on both contentious and non-contentious valuation matters.
In contentious matters, Karthik has led projects providing expert reports and supporting testifying experts. Karthik has advised clients in banking-related litigations including regulatory capital requirements, non-performing assets, emergency liquidity requirements, accounting for complex derivatives, and margining and equity close-outs administered by investment banks.
Examples of recent experience include:
- supporting an expert in assessing the impact of various accounting restatements on the market value and regulatory capital of a large Italian bank;
- authored an expert valuation report in an LCIA-administered dispute relating to a proposed acquisition of a retail bank by a fund;
- authored an expert report for the trustees of an insolvent bank on matters relating to effect of GFC on the liquidity and solvency of the bank; and
- supported a valuation expert in an ICC Arbitration relating to a joint venture (a credit institution with a book greater than EUR 10 bn) dispute between a large retail chain and a major global bank.
In non-contentious matters, Karthik has advised financial institutions/asset management companies in valuing their equity portfolios, loan books and management incentive structures.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting London, Karthik worked as a Director for Duff & Phelps (“D&P”) in Singapore. At D&P, Karthik helped develop the valuation and transaction advisory practice.
Prior to joining D&P, Karthik was part of the valuation team at Grant Thornton UK LLP. At Grant Thornton, Karthik specialised in fair value reviews for the UK National Audit practice and was considered to be the principal contact for technical matters relating to financial reporting valuations.
Karthik holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration and a Bachelor’s in Science in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.