- Managing Director
- T: +44 20 3727 1680
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- 200 Aldersgate
- Aldersgate Street
- London, EC1A 4HD
- United Kingdom
- T: +44 20 3727 1000
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- BSc Hotel Management, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Business Plan Review
- Business Valuation
- Corporate Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions Advisory
- Performance Improvement
- Hospitality, Gaming & Leisure
Martin Cairns is a Managing Director in FTI Consulting’s EMEA Corporate Finance practice based in London.
Martin leads the Hospitality and Leisure Advisory offering and has over 20 years of international hospitality industry experience. He joined FTI from Deloitte (previously Arthur Andersen) where he was a long-serving and founder member of their global hospitality industry practice.
Martin has direct operational experience of the industry having held roles with Marriott and InterContinental both in the US and UK. As the son of an hotelier he grew up in the business in various locations throughout the world and has travelled extensively.
For the last 25 years Martin has provided international brands, family offices, sovereign wealth funds, strategic property investors, banks, private equity, and independent hotel owners with specialist industry advisory services.
This has involved a variety of matters in respect of hotel investment and operation including acquisition/disposals, management/lease agreements, capital expenditure appraisal, repositioning, strategy, forecasting and valuation.
His market knowledge is broad across the Europe, Middle East and Africa region underpinned by a considerable period of operational and development consulting during his career. He has also undertaken a range of assignments in North America and the Caribbean. Examples engagements would include:
- Acted as an industry advisor and asset manager to a syndicate of banks in relation to MSREF’s portfolio of 7 InterContinental-branded hotels in Europe. Later acted as part of a sell-side team in respect of the portfolio’s disposal to a Monaco-based investor.
- Advised a London landed estate in respect of a range of hotel investment matters including running an operator/investor search and selection process for new-build, de-luxe hotel to be located at Hyde Park Corner – now to be developed as The Peninsula London.
- Commercial and deal advisory support in respect of a potential acquisition of the Rosewood Hotel Group, Dallas, Texas.
- Expert witness (hotel valuation and related commercial matters) in respect of a compulsory land purchase at the Hyatt Grand Cayman Resort, Grand Cayman.
Martin went to high school in Hawaii and then on to University of Nevada, Las Vegas where he studied hotel operations and management.