David R. Alfaro is a Senior Managing Director in Data & Analytics at FTI Consulting and is based in San Francisco. Mr. Alfaro co-leads the firm’s Data & Analytics west coast practice, and is a nationally recognized expert in the areas of collecting and analyzing accounting, operational, and human resource information. Mr. Alfaro has extensive experience in dispute resolution including a specialization in complex, data-intensive analyses in response to government / internal investigations, litigation / class actions, mergers / acquisitions, and bankruptcies / restructurings.
Mr. Alfaro has provided testimony in cases involving alleged federal trademark infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of fiduciary obligation, theft, fraud, RICO, and other similar events, which depended upon the recovery and analysis of current and historic financial, accounting, and operational data.
A few of Mr. Alfaro’s more notable engagements include:
- Testimony before the United States Copyright Royalty Judges in the matter of the Mechanical and Digital Phonorecord Delivery Rate Adjustment Proceedings.
- Testimony to the SEC regarding FTI Consulting’s role as forensic consultants in an internal investigation on behalf of a company’s Board of Directors. The testimony was used to support the criminal conviction of the stock option administrator.
- Expert consulting to several law firms related to their defense of leading financial institutions facing a myriad of lawsuits stemming from the financial crises, including litigation involving MBS, SIVs, CDOs and other structured finance products.
- Expert consulting to a company in their efforts to assess internal controls and compliance related to domestic and international operations.
- Expert consulting to several law firms related to a myriad of labor disputes (collectively requiring the identification, collection, and analysis of data contained in various pay-roll systems, human resource systems, and other critical databases).
- Support to a large private equity fund respond to a due diligence inquiry into alleged misrepresentation of reported financials - ultimately leading to a restatement.
- Support to a leading global building supply company file for protection under Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company included over 15 legal entities located across the country, many of which were supported by disparate financial systems such as SAP, JD Edwards, MAPICS, PRMS and EMS. Mr. Alfaro and his team identified, extracted and synthesized the debt records from each system into a data warehouse used for several bankruptcy related analyses and court filings.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting in 2003, Mr. Alfaro was a Director in KPMG’s Forensic Dispute Advisory Services practice for nearly two years. Before that he spent nearly 10 years with Arthur Andersen, where he last served as a Senior Manager in their Economic & Financial Consulting practice. Prior to joining Andersen, Mr. Alfaro was with Bank of America.
T: +1 415 283 4220
50 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
Bribery & Corruption Investigations & Compliance
Forensic Accounting & Investigations
Litigation Support & Analytical Services
Securities Litigation & Risk Management