Jen Maki, Ph.D., is a Managing Director in the Center for Healthcare Economics and Policy at FTI Consulting. She concentrates her work on the analysis and modeling of factors that drive demand for healthcare products and services, assessment of trends in the delivery of healthcare, market assessments, and commercial due diligence. Her clients include legal counsel, healthcare providers and product manufacturers, and private equity funds.
Dr. Maki frequently works with various data including commercial claims, Medicare, and client to assess demand for healthcare products, price and price variation, and to evaluate treatment patterns. Her dual background in economics and accounting enables her to apply both economic theory and financial analysis to isolate and quantify the impact from events. She served as a testifying expert providing information on the healthcare landscape, factors influencing demand for pharmaceutical products, and insurance plan coverage decisions. Her work often includes assessing and forecasting disease prevalence, the impact of treatment and/or interventions, and the related effect on utilization and cost. She provides context and clarity to complex situations by refining data and analysis from disparate sources to provide clear and compelling narratives.
Dr. Maki is an active researcher and has written on topics including digital health and issues related to cost-effectiveness, utilization, and equity; the effects of informational interventions on individual decision-making; and on tobacco policies and their effect on smoking cessation. Her research articles have been published in peer reviewed journals, including the Southern Economic Journal and the International Journal of Drug Policy. She also holds a position as an Academic Associate at Arizona State University’s College of Health Solutions and teaches a graduate-level health economics course.
- Engaged as a testifying expert to provide information relating to demand for care, provision of care and how it evolved over time, and supply constraints that impact availability of desired treatments. This information was used to support an employer sponsored health insurance plan embroiled in litigation related to coverage decisions.
- Engaged as a testifying expert in opioid related litigation; provided information about the healthcare landscape including material regarding geographic variation in utilization and information relating to changes in treatment patterns of care for pain.
- Engaged as a testifying expert in arbitration proceedings between an international pharmaceutical manufacturer and a pharmaceutical distributor; provided information related to market dynamics, pricing, and projected sales volume through the term of the disputed contract while accounting for market shocks and the impact of COVID-19.
- Created the framework and conducted the analysis to assess market attractiveness and identify which countries the firm should grow, optimize, or harvest and exit for a private equity firm purchasing a major medical product manufacturer; conducted a profitability study to assess true product-level profitability, identify avoidable costs, and quantify return on investment.
- Engaged by a telecom company serving healthcare providers and organizations to assess marketplace stability and identify opportunities, by market segment, for expansion; conducted an assessment of specific health technology offerings in the electronic health records and telemedicine space for potential strategic partnerships.
- Created detailed demand models using advanced simulation techniques to analyze current and future levels of care and utilization under a status quo as compared to a new respiratory care delivery process; created disease forecasts, future patient volume, and resource utilization analysis to support new treatment regimens (UK based hospital).
- Assessed the effects of a healthcare equipment supply shortage and how this shortage impacted patient choice, including specific modality of treatment and provider selection (litigation proceedings).
T: +1 602 744 7157
4835 East Cactus Road
Scottsdale, AZ, 85254
Center for Healthcare Economics & Policy
Econometrics & Statistical Analysis