Sam Aguirre specializes in debt restructuring advisory in the Americas. Mr. Aguirre has restructuring experience in Latin America, focusing on turnaround plans, advising parties on consensual restructurings and providing interim management services. He has industry expertise in construction (cement, tiles and ceramics, steel and plastic), oil, gas and electricity (generation and distribution), media (cable TV and newspaper), automotive and food retail.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Aguirre was a Partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers in the Corporate Recovery area. Mr. Aguirre trained in Canada and gained significant experience in bankruptcy proceedings (receiverships, reorganizations, and bankruptcies), out-of-court restructurings and operational restructurings. He has participated in aggregate debt restructurings in excess of USD$60 billion. Mr. Aguirre also has provided litigation support services and acted as an expert witness in U.S. court.
Mr. Aguirre's recent engagements include an $800 million debt restructuring for San Antonio Oil & Gas; a $22 billion debt restructuring for Cemex, a Mexican multinational building materials company; a $700 million debt restructuring for Nemak, a global automotive parts manufacturing company; an $800 million debt restructuring for Lamosa (tile and ceramic); a $700 million debt restructuring for Gruma, a multinational corn flour and tortilla manufacturing company; a $260 million debt restructuring for Trinidad Cement Limited; a $3 billion debt restructuring for Mexican hypermarket group Comercial Mexicana; a $250 million debt restructuring for Tuscany Drilling and a $200 million debt restructuring for Carpathian Gold.
- San Antonio Oil & Gas (Oil & Gas) – US$ 800 million debt restructuring;
- Cemex (Cement) - US$ 22 billion debt restructuring;
- Nemak (Autoparts) - US$ 700 million debt restructuring;
- Lamosa (Tile and Ceramic) - US$ 800 million debt restructuring;
- Gruma (Corn producer) - US$ 700 million debt restructuring;
- Trinidad Cement Limited (Cement) - US$ 260 million debt restructuring;
- Comercial Mexicana (Supermarket) - US$3 billion debt restructuring;
- Tuscany Drilling (Oil & Gas) –US$ 250 million debt restructuring;
- Carpathian Gold –US$ 200 million debt restructuring.
Mr. Aguirre is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Canada, a licensed Trustee in Bankruptcy, a Chartered Financial Analyst and a Certified Fraud Examiner. Mr. Aguirre is fluent in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.
T: +55 11 3079 4535
Av. Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek, 1327 – 3º andar
Condomínio Edifício Internacional Plaza II
São Paulo SP 04543-011
Restructuring / Turnaround Services