Organizational Transformation and Optimization of Contact Center Operations
September 08, 2022
Organizational Transformation and Optimization of Contact Center OperationsDownload Case Study
Facing struggles from inefficient access and contact center development, a nationally recognized academic medical center engaged FTI Consulting to assist. FTI Consulting’s experts helped the client with contact center optimization, expediting a three-month conversion of a legacy telephony system with 1,200+ users, as well as implementing a decision tree and template optimization to achieve 95% more appointments scheduled with first-call resolution.
Founded on its tripartite mission of clinical, academic and research excellence, the client, a nationally recognized medical school, integrated health system and faculty practice based in the Midwest, faced mounting pressure to dramatically enhance the patient experience within the communities the client serves through optimization, transformation and technology enablement.
In late 2021, FTI Consulting was engaged to assess organizational challenges related to structure and alignment, insufficient access, and inefficient contact center performance. In addition, physician engagement and participation in access-related initiatives varied significantly by department.
An assessment of each of the areas was completed and transformational alignment work was initiated across the organization.
Organizational Alignment and Contact Center Transformation
- Partnering with the client, FTI Consulting developed an optimized, enterprise-wide triad reporting structure with separate ambulatory, operational and medical group functions. Our Experts supported recruitment of an executive director and chief operations integration officer for the medical group and proposed an organizational structure and clearly-defined job descriptions for contact center leadership and staff.
- To help monitor real-time, continuous improvement initiatives, our experts created a performance management dashboard with key access KPIs, along with a strategic toolkit for management.
- We helped the client standardized a non-scheduling workflow across like specialties, which were detailed in an operational handbook. In addition, our team developed a “Statement of Principles” document to outline clinic and contact center responsibilities.
- Our experts implemented self-scheduling via MyChart for multiple departments (inclusive of new and return visit types).
Decision Tree Implementation and Template Optimization
- Our team completed template optimization and decision-tree implementation and built activities for seven in-scope departments.
- Within 14 days, FTI Consulting and the client enhanced new patient visits by 7%.
- FTI Consulting improved scheduling accuracy and scheduler efficacy by implementing comprehensive appointment decision trees.
- Expedited the conversion of a legacy telephony system and trained 1,200+ users prior to going live.
- Call Abandonment Rate improved by 3% and the Speed to Answer improved by 20%.
- 95% more appointments scheduled with first-call resolution and handle time improved by 9%.