Alon Carmel has over 14 years of experience advising energy companies, utilities, investors and Governments on strategy and how to leverage their strengths to realise the opportunities within the energy transition. Alon leads the work within FTI Consulting on offshore wind and often advises international energy companies and investors on offshore wind auctions, new markets and investment strategy. He further has particular expertise in energy market design, carbon pricing and climate change regulation. Alon is a Visiting Fellow at the London School of Economics (LSE).
Alon has advised offshore wind investors on auction strategy, as well as Governments on renewable auction design in the UK and continental European markets. He has also advised developers and OEMs on market evolution, the implications of zero subsidy renewable energy bids and projects, and the rise of corporate PPAs and merchant price exposure and their impact on financing projects. He has investigated the integration of renewable technologies such as wind and solar into the electricity network and the role that battery storage, hydrogen, Electric Vehicles, demand response and other forms of flexibility can play. Alon has also worked extensively on carbon taxation and carbon trading schemes and other policy instruments to enable an energy transition in line with international agreements, and boost investment into low carbon technologies – renewable technologies such as wind and solar, but also nuclear and CCS.
Before joining FTI Consulting, Alon was a Principal at NERA Economic Consulting and prior to that, he led policy and economics teams with the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change, DECC and the Department for Transport, DfT. Alon led the teams that designed the current UK renewable energy subsidy and auction regime (the CfD) as part of the Electricity Market Reform programme.
As a senior expert in Alon's field he also acts as an expert witness providing expert reports and testimony on the global renewable energy industry, energy markets and policy, climate change policy and regulation. Alon also frequently speaks at industry conferences and is cited in national and trade media.
- Offshore wind seabed lease auction strategy & site valuations – several jurisdictions
- Transactions support and commercial due diligence – major offshore wind asset acquisition strategy and execution for global investor
- Strategy support and bid optimisation – ScotWind – for major European energy company
- Offshore wind auction strategy & valuations for subsidy auctions (UK CfD 2019) – Doggerbank 3.6GW won for Equinor/SSE
- New Market Entry Strategy – for major European energy company – South Korea and Japan
- Offshore wind financing under merchant conditions European utility
- Offshore wind cost of capital benchmarking for Japanese conglomerate
- Offshore wind project competitor analysis, cost modelling and auction strategy modelling – UK
- Offshore wind auction design for Government of the Netherlands
- European Carbon Price Floor impact on investment, targets and industries (Multi-client project including Ørsted, Eneco, Shell, EDF, Vestas, EnBW and others)
- Corporate PPAs Strategy for a wind OEM
- Offshore wind auction simulation modelling for financial investor