Graham Handy is a Managing Director of FTI Consulting, Global Insurance Services, and leads the Risk and Actuarial teams for EMEA. He has more than 25 years of experience as an actuary and broader risk consultant of advising insurers across the globe on financial, operational and strategic challenges in changing markets.
Graham is an accomplished senior insurance practitioner, specialising in international finance, actuarial, and risk management, and valued as a trusted advisor and collaborative contributor to the Board and Executive agenda.
Graham is a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, and bridges technical actuarial capability and commercial execution. His extensive experience includes: implementing enterprise-wide risk management frameworks; evaluation and due diligence of major multi-national disposals and acquisitions; assisting clients with post-acquisition integration; building full model-office reporting and projection models; and assessing major outsourcing transactions as part of insurers’ drive to operational efficiency.
In 2013 and 2014 Graham led the creation of EY’s Global Insurance Customer and Growth solution, with a focus on drawing together the strength of understanding of product and profit dynamics in clients’ actuarial/financial teams with those companies’ emerging capabilities in digital and data analytics. He has supported broad and focused InsurTech projects and is on the Advisory Boards of Sherpa and Moneyhub in the UK.
Graham's specialist areas include:
- Technical actuarial input in the life sector in the key areas of capital modelling, capital efficiency, product design and value assessment
- Development and implementation of enterprise risk management framework and associated policies and resource model for a company whilst under close scrutiny by local regulator
- Helping insurers realise the benefits of cost reduction and customer retention appropriately through the reported profit mechanism
- Actuarial and commercial due diligence
- Experience of holding Controlled Function roles under FCA (CF1)
- Independent review and validation of publicly reported (balance sheet, profit and loss) financial results for complex multi-national insurers (Local GAAP and IFRS)