Investigations in Russia & Former Soviet Bloc Countries: How FTI Consulting Can Help Brochure
Risk, Investigations and Disputes
Russia and the Arc of History
- Russia has been and always will be critical to Europe’s economic well-being. As the Cold War recedes in memory, realpolitik is replacing ideology as the basis for Western relations with Russia.
- Russia is the world’s second-largest producer of fossil fuels. It supplies a third of the EU’s oil and gas. This provides a launching pad for Russia’s economic resurgence and lays a foundation for its long-term importance to the West.
- The momentum of sanctions that locked many Russian companies out of foreign capital markets due to compliance challenges and political risks may be waning, which should lead to an improving economic picture within Russia.
Russia and Former Soviet Bloc Countries Require Specialized Local Expertise
- The Russian market is still evolving along a continuum, transforming a centrally planned and managed economy toward a freer market. Navigating this marketplace requires experienced insight.
- A lack of corporate transparency – a residual effect of the previous Soviet era – inevitably increases the risks of conducting business. This is especially true as it pertains to regulatory risk, such as anti-money laundering and anti-corruption (U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act) compliance.
- Critical and necessary business documents and electronic communications are in Russian. The ability to communicate in Russian builds trust among business partners.
Senior Managing Director, Co-Leader of Forensic Accounting & Advisory Services