Financial Planning & Analysis Solutions
As the business world continues to change, a CFO needs to leverage the financial planning and analysis (“FP&A”) organization to be a source of stability that ensures effective reporting, forecasting and analytics while driving business performance through clear and actionable insights. CFOs are increasingly playing the role of strategic advisor by partnering with stakeholders such as business development and operations. The Office of the CFO Solutions team at FTI Consulting has the skills and expertise to equip CFOs with the acumen needed for a company to realize its full potential.
Our team has functional and technical experts across all levels of the corporate finance function, enabling us to leverage relevant experience and to provide the CFOs with meaningful insights. With our breadth of experience, our deep expertise ranges from budgeting and forecasting to financial modeling and data visualization. We have the skills and the knowledge to empower finance organizations to provide superior business insights that drive tangible results. We retain an extensive roster of personnel with both public and private experience with Fortune 500 and mid-sized companies as interim CFO, VP of Finance and Director of FP&A, as well as other finance supporting transitional roles, providing transactional and analytical support while facilitating the search for permanent staff.
From enhanced reporting processes to improved, data-driven forecasting, our team can deliver significant improvement to the CFO’s FP&A organization. We will design, build and deliver impactful results to FP&A processes and capabilities across the organization from a roadmap on through to implementation.
Robust Data Driven Financial Modeling
Leverage performance management tools and optimize processes to create more effective financial models.
- Design and build robust three-statement budgeting and forecasting projection models.
- Build operating and reporting models based on reporting needs and institutional requirements.
- Create liquidity forecasts evaluating cash management and financing needs across the organization.
- Develop and “pressure test” integrated business plans, budgeting and forecasting models.
- Utilize advanced analytics to support operating assumptions and budget/forecast drivers.
Improved Management Reporting
Integrate real-time, historical and forecast data, providing enhanced data visualization of results. This allows for higher quality strategic and tactical decision making.
- KPIs and create dashboards to visualize and track key metrics and trends.
- Improve actual to forecast variance analysis to identify key drivers in overall business performance.
- Pinpoint critical information and performance metrics for key business stakeholders, and ensure high visibility in reporting packages.
- Perform gap analysis to identify key information not captured by existing management reports.
- Identify opportunities to rationalize reports by integrating into existing reports or new reporting processes, which reduces costs.
Actionable Data Analytics
Validate the quality of raw data and build easily manageable databases and processes, which provide meaningful, visually impactful information along with actionable financial and operational analyses.
- Validate data sources both inside and outside of financial systems to identify a Single Source of Truth, and ensure all information utilized in budgets, forecasts and management reports are appropriately sourced.
- Provide expertise and flexible tools to evaluate critical financial analytics such as headcount analysis; contribution margin analysis; price, volume, mix analysis; return on invested capital; economic value added and cost of capital calculations.
- Implement integrated and reliable methodology for data collection and distribution to finance personnel at the corporate, regional and field levels.
- Create dashboards and analytics, which provide insightful and actionable intelligence for improving results.
- Implement sophisticated data visualization tools, ensuring clear transparency into business metrics.
- Build systematic data reconciliation processes to compare values for the profit & loss statement and balance sheet among reporting systems, as well as identify the root cause of variances to the GL account, entity or other cause.
Execution of Strategic and Operational Initiatives
Provide CFOs and business development teams with cross functional transactional and finance experience, across a variety of transaction types and scenarios, including IPO, carve-out/divestiture, joint venture, debt financing and merger/acquisition.
- Partner with operational personnel to improve planning and execution with respect to headcount, store/asset efficiency, pricing and volume analytics.
- Provide objective advice on acquisition or divestiture strategies.
- Validate key forecast input assumptions providing assurance to external stakeholders who rely on valuation models.
- Model various scenarios and potential outcomes both up to and following a transaction.
- Assist with due diligence and hands-on support for requests from investment bankers, ratings agencies, research analysts and other stakeholders.
- Provide tactical finance transaction support in preparing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory filings and analyses.
Interim Management and Staff Support
Augment seasoned finance professionals when needed, by providing interim management professionals with deep functional experience.
- Provide professionals with deep functional experience at all levels: CFOs, Controllers, VP of Finance, Finance Directors and Analysts, financial systems and management information system support to assist in both financial management and optimization of FP&A organizational design.
- FP&A experience with core accounting GL and consolidation tools (e.g., Oracle, JD Edwards, HFM) and financial planning systems (e.g., Hyperion Planning, Essbase).
- Provide skilled professionals to assist in the execution of tactical plans to improve or update FP&A functions.
- Establish a framework for workflow management and continuous improvement.
Client Success Stories
- Created an integrated three-statement budget model for a multi-billion dollar global contractor. The model was then linked to the treasury cash forecast and outputs were used to support capital allocation and cash management decisions for senior leadership while also monitoring the company’s backlog, operating cash flows and debt reduction requirements in order to maintain covenant compliance.
- Partnered with a Fortune 500 travel and leisure company to leverage existing general ledger (“GL”) and financial systems creating automated, customizable executive level dashboards as well as actionable “store level” operational key performance indicators (“KPIs”), metrics and benchmark analysis.
- Enriched data sets in an easily manageable SQL database for a large supplier to industrial and oil and gas companies, creating customizable dashboards with actionable intelligence such as headcount and asset efficiency; price, volume, mix analysis and contribution margin analytics.
- Enhanced FP&A capabilities through a comprehensive business transformation for a worldwide hospitality company in order to execute a successful initial public offering (“IPO”) transaction. This included developing a multi-year business plan, “pressure testing” financial projections, enhancing financial controls and providing technical accounting expertise.