Cryptocurrencies in Financial Crime: Investigative and Enforcement Challenges
July 01, 2020
Federica Taccogna of FTI Consulting and James Ramsden QC of Astraea Group will discuss the latest approaches to investigations and enforcement in the $237 billion cryptocurrency market.
In recent years, governments around the world have struggled to regulate the use of virtual currency — resulting in a patchwork of rules and legal frameworks. At the same time, commercial organisations—outside of the cottage industry of cryptocurrency firms—are only beginning to develop the appropriate tools to manage risk in this evolving industry.
During the webinar, Federica and James will discuss the following:
- How have governments regulated crypto assets to date?
- How and why can bad actors exploit crypto assets for illicit purposes?
- What measures can regulators and private sector firms put in place to manage risk?
- Key investigatory and legal challenges in case studies involving crypto asset lawsuits and laundromats
- Managing the combination of crypto assets and high-risk industries
- Other short to medium-term developments, including the implications of COVID-19