- Managing Director
- Corporate Finance & Restructuring
- T: +61 2 8247 8060
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Sydney
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance (FINSIA)
- Chartered Accountant, Australia
- Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Fellow, Financial Services Institute (FFSI)
- Corporate Finance
Michael Bates has over 15 years experience working across a wide variety of Business Transformation matters, with a focus on Private Capital Advisory Services.
Michael helps Private Equity (“PE”) clients, boards, c-suite, and Management teams navigate through uncertain, challenging times. Michael’s involvement is typically driven by an event, either the result of a transaction (from origination), or a period of under performance.
Michael has specific expertise in undertaking due diligence, cost optimisation, cash and working capital management, crisis management, organisational design, post-merger integration, performance improvement, independent strategic and diagnostic reviews of businesses, and solving complex business problems.
Michael has extensive industry sector experience across a range of industries including retail and consumer products, TMT, mining and mining services, construction, manufacturing, property and financial services.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting in 2017, Michael was a Senior Manager at McGrathNicol where he spent 12 years working on a range of restructuring and advisory matters.
- Staples / Winc – separation, strategy, merger integration and sales force effectiveness
- Hertz, Aus & NZ - cash forecasting, cost optimization and stakeholder
- GFG Alliance – cash forecasting and working capital optimisation
- ASX listed apparel wear retailer – 1,000 stores across six brands, Board advisory, cash forecasting, and cost optimisation
- Buy-side financial advisor - to a number of PE and / or family office funds, assisting from origination to deal completion
- Transformational adviser - to a number of portfolio companies on behalf of PE clients, with a particular focus on cash management and cost optimisation
- Independent business reviews - undertake numerous reviews on behalf of borrowers and financial sponsors