Richard Kottmeyer, J.D.
- Managing Director
- Corporate Finance & Restructuring
- T: +1 404 460 6200
- F: +1 404 460 6299
- 1201 W Peachtree Street, NW
- Suite 500
- Atlanta, GA, 30309
- United States
- T: +1 404 460 6200
- F: +1 404 460 6299
- B.A., Washington University
- J.D., Saint Louis University
- Restructuring / Turnaround Services
- Performance Improvement
Richard Kottmeyer specializes in FMSA and food safety, the future of food, consumer analytics, protein and QSRs. His experience includes advising key suppliers to QSRs in produce, specialty foods and all protein (eggs, poultry, beef and pork) on areas ranging from innovation to food safety and transparency, to moving to new production models tied to consumer advocacy trends.
Mr. Kottmeyer joined FTI Consulting after building the six largest food and agriculture practices in professional services in turnaround management, investment banking, technology and management consulting where he had full global responsibility (Rothschild, KPMG, Lehman, IBM, Accenture and Luxoft). He was also the global consumer futurist leader for IBM and head of consumer analytics.
Examples of Mr. Kottmeyer’s experience include advising key suppliers to QSRs in produce, specialty foods and all protein (eggs, poultry, beef and pork) on areas ranging from innovation to food safety and transparency, to moving to new production models tied to consumer advocacy trends. He has advised QSRs, grocerants and cafeteria providers on leading innovation in times of volatility while maintaining operational excellence. This work focused on supply chain, front of house, back of house and omnichannel work. His work has included such brands as YUM, Burger King, McDonalds, Walmart, Nestle, Simplot, Kraft-Heinz, JBS, Tyson, Kroger and COFCO amongst others.
As a global speaker, author and trade delegate, Mr. Kottmeyer is tied to food and agriculture with a particular focus on consumer trends, industry 4.0, the future of protein production and procurement, and the transformation of QSRs and quick casuals to digital, disruptive and diverse with over 20 major restaurant projects in his career. He annually advises the CEOs of the poultry and beef industries through their major associations on critical trends and disruptions for the year. Mr. Kottmeyer is also an editor for multiple major industry trade journals and associations including Farm Journal, Watts Poultry and Meatingplace (which named him Innovative Thought Leader of the Year), frequent speaker at IPPE and advisor on FMI’s Power of Meat annual publication and is a Presidential think tank member on food and agriculture.
Prior to focusing consulting and advisory, Mr. Kottmeyer was an agricultural producer in Missouri (grains and livestock). He also ran key DARPA laboratories tied to chemical and biological threats (leading to his being a global food safety expert).
- U.S. potato manufacturer's restructuring of relationship with top 3 global QSR
- Advised 6 of the largest global protein consolidations on post-merger operating improvements
- Advised 3 top 10 global QSRs on transition to cage free eggs, ABF poultry and beef sustainability programs and corresponding production and supply chain challenges
- Built Chinese Tier 2 and Tier 3 city expansion for leading global pizza and chicken QSR concepts
- Built IT strategy for one of the first major digital transformations in QSR to allow mobile and kiosk ordering, delivery through third parties, and the corresponding supply chain and back of house changes needed
- Developed strategy for leading global convenience store operator to go from unhealthy snacks and pre-packaged sandwiches and sausages/hot dogs, to multiple deliveries a day by the commissary of fresher offerings to compete with QSRs for budget breakfast and lunch day segments both in U.S. and Asia
- Protein procurement review and restructuring for leading global food and support services provider focused on their Asian expansion, growth in defense contracts in conflict zones and inmate services
- Strategic review and modelling for transformation of same firm’s industrial and business division to meet increasing consumer concerns on transparency, freshness and animal welfare issues
- Advised 4 of the top 10 global protein producers on operating model changes to meet new U.S. and European consumer demands for changes in production (cage free, ABF, animal welfare, hormones, production practices, etc.)
- Developed retail grocery acquisition strategy for a major food processor in Asia
- Built operations, supply chain and marketing model leading to largest dairy cooperative formation