- Senior Director
- Economic & Financial Consulting
- T: +33 1 53 05 36 04
- F: +33 1 53 05 36 16
- 22 place de la Madeleine
- 4ème étage
- Paris, 75008
- T: +33 1 53 05 36 33
- F: +33 1 53 05 36 16
- Undergraduate Degree, Management Sciences, Dauphine University
- Masters Degree, Corporate Finance & Financial Engineering, Dauphine University
- French Association of Appraisers (SFEV)
- Cross-border Litigation
- Economic Consulting
- International Arbitration
Romain Lortat-Jacob is a Senior Director at FTI Consulting. He is a member of the Economic and Financial Consulting practice and is based in Paris.
Before joining the firm in 2017, Romain worked as a director at Sorgem Evaluation, a French financial consulting firm, and, before that, as a member of Deloitte’s forensic and dispute services team.
Romain has 15 years of experience in finance and valuation issues across a wide variety of dispute contexts and industries. His areas of expertise include claims analysis and preparation, contractual and dispute resolution advisory services as well as valuation of companies and assets in all sorts of contexts (transactions, fairness opinions, tax issues).
Over the past years, Romain has worked on multiple complex commercial disputes including breaches of contracts, expropriations of companies, breaches of warranties and representations, counterfeiting of commercial goods or mis-selling of derivative products.
Examples of Extensive Experience:
- evaluating damages claims;
- providing advice on financial or economic aspects of claims to clients and their counsel; and
- preparing experts and counsels for hearings.
- valuing assets and companies;
- Anti-competitive practices (household and healthcare products): support of a manufacturer of consumer products in a proceeding before French antitrust authorities. The work consisted of a critical analysis of the price effect of alleged anti-competitive practices.
- Anti-competitive practices (media): analysis of a claim made by a press publisher following a competitor’s alleged anti-competitive practices. The analysis examined the lost profits incurred during the period of publication as well as the loss of chance resulting from the disappearance of the new competitor.
- Marketing of complex derivative products (banking sector): several interventions in support of major banks in the context of disputes relating to the sale of complex interest rate swaps to customers, mostly public authorities. The work consisted in analysing the pre-contractual exchanges and the information communicated and to appreciate the products according to the strategy sought by the customer as well as analysing the alleged damage and the assessment of the financial risks incurred.
- Causes of bankruptcy (food retail): support in a dispute relating to determine the causes of the bankruptcy of the local partner of an international food retailer.
- Alleged expropriation (Banking sector): valuation of a Turkish bank following its alleged expropriation by the state at the beginning of the 2000’s.
- Breach of established commercial relationships (oil transport): analysis of a claim made by the owner of an oil terminal against various oil producers who decided to cease their commercial relationship.
- Industrial damage (Dairy industry): support to an industrial company in negotiations with an insurance company following the failure of sanitary control procedures.
- Drone industry: valuation of a start-up manufacturing and marketing professional drones in Europe and the US.
- Retailing: valuation of a luxury multi-brand retailer that operated several stores, owned or leased, in the US.
- Champagne: valuation of a Champagne brand name.
- Luxury goods: assistance of a luxury group on valuation matters in the context of the acquisition of several subcontractors.
- Food retail: valuation of a group of franchisees in the context of negotiations relating to a contemplated buyout by a retail group.
- Biotech: valuation of a biotech company active in the field of molecular testing in the context of a delisting of the shares (fairness opinion).