- Senior Director
- Economic Consulting
- T: +1 515 290 6990
- 8251 Greensboro Drive
- McLean, VA, 22102
- United States
- T: +1 571 405 3260
- B.A., History, Iowa State University
- B.S., Economics, Iowa State University
- M.A., Economic History, Iowa State University
- National Association of Business Economists
- Southern Regional Science Association (SRSA)
- United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE)
- Economic Consulting
- Energy, Power & Products
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
Scott Nystrom is a Senior Director at FTI Consulting and is based in McLean, Virginia. Mr. Nystrom is in the Network Industry Strategies (“NIS”) practice within the Economic Consulting segment. He is an expert on macroeconomic, regional, and energy modeling and applying them to policy analysis and economic impact analysis.
For the past eight years, Mr. Nystrom has conducted studies related to economic growth, climate, energy, fiscal policy, and demographics for federal agencies, numerous state and local governments, nonprofits, trade associations, utilities, major corporations, and law firms. His areas of research have included energy and the environment, infrastructure, economic development, healthcare, project development, capital investments, labor markets, international trade, and federal/state fiscal policy.
Mr. Nystrom has presented to federal and state policymakers, budget committees, and national conferences. Highlights include presenting to members of Congress and staffers on the economic contribution of electric cooperatives; Capitol Hill briefings on the impacts of federal fiscal, climate, and energy policy; and to the budget committees of several states. These include Arkansas, Massachusetts, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Vermont. He has presented to the national conferences of the National Association for Business Economics (“NABE”), the Transportation Research Board (“TRB”), a national academy of sciences, and the board of the Cone Health Foundation.
Prior to FTI Consulting, Mr. Nystrom worked at Regional Economic Models, Inc. (“REMI”), a firm that builds and supports models of state, regional, and national economies. He was the head of its economic consulting practice, client support, software model training, and the Washington, DC office. He has extensive experience with REMI, IMPLAN, similar models, energy models such as CTAM and the Power System Optimizer (“PSO”), and the use of such models in an integrated, mutually-complementary fashion.
Mr. Nystrom has authored many reports, including the following:
- Scott Nystrom, Jack Tunstall, and Ken Ditzel, “The Economic Impact of America’s Electric Cooperatives,” March 2019
- Scott Nystrom, Katie O’Hare, and Ken Ditzel, “The Economic, Fiscal, and Emissions Impacts of a Revenue-Neutral Carbon Tax,” August 2018
- George I. Treyz Award for Excellence in Economic Analysis (2018)
- Ken Ditzel, Scott Nystrom, and Mitch DeRubis, “The Economic Impact of Steel and Aluminum Tariffs,” August 2018
- Ken Ditzel and Scott Nystrom, “A Comprehensive Economic Impact Study of the U.S. Foodservice Distribution Industry,” August 2018
- Ken Ditzel, Scott Nystrom, and Evan Klein, “Oregon Cap-and-Trade: An Analysis of the Economic Impacts of Oregon SB 1574 (2016),” March 2017
- George I. Treyz Award for Excellence in Economic Analysis (2017)