- Economic Consulting
- T: +1 515 290 6990
- 8251 Greensboro Drive
- McLean, VA, 22102
- United States
- T: +1 571 405 3260
- B.A., History, Iowa State University
- B.S., Economics, Iowa State University
- M.A., Economic History, Iowa State University
- National Association of Business Economists
- Southern Regional Science Association (SRSA)
- United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE)
- Economic Consulting
- Energy, Power & Products
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
Scott Nystrom is a Director at FTI Consulting and is based in McLean. Mr. Nystrom is in the Network Industry Strategies (“NIS”) practice within the Economic Consulting segment. He is an expert on regional modeling and applying it to policy analysis, economic impact analysis, and energy modeling.
For the past seven years, Mr. Nystrom has conducted economic, climate, energy, fiscal, and demographic impact studies for federal agencies, regional planners, state and local governments, academic institutions, think tanks, nonprofits, associations, utilities, and major corporations. His areas of research have included energy and the environment, infrastructure, healthcare, economic development, project analysis, labor markets, and fiscal policy at the state and federal levels.
In testimony, Mr. Nystrom has presented to state and federal policymakers, budget committees, and national conferences. Highlights include briefing the staffs of the House Ways & Means and Senate Finance committees on the impact of the federal “fiscal cliff” and the Arkansas legislature’s Joint Agriculture, Forest, and Economic Development Committee on a $1.1 billion steel mill. Mr. Nystrom has spoken before budget committees in Massachusetts, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Vermont. He presented to the conferences of the National Association for Business Economics (“NABE”) and Transportation Research Board (“TRB”), one of the national academies, and the board of the Cone Health Foundation.
Prior to FTI Consulting, Mr. Nystrom worked at Regional Economic Models, Inc. (“REMI”), a firm that builds models of state, regional, and national economies for analysis. Mr. Nystrom was the head of their consulting practice, client software training, technical support, and their Washington, DC office. He has extensive experience with REMI and IMPLAN, working knowledge of energy models such as CTAM and Power System Optimizer (“PSO”), and using such models in concert with one another.
Mr. Nystrom has authored many reports, including the following:
- Ken Ditzel, Scott Nystrom, and Evan Klein, “Oregon Cap-and-Trade: An Analysis of the Economic Impacts of Oregon SB 1574 (2016),” March 2017
- George I. Treyz Award for Excellence in Economic Analysis (2017)
- Leighton Ku, Scott Nystrom, Brian Bruen, Erika Steinmetz, and Tyler Bysshe, “The Economic and Employment Costs of Not Expanding Medicaid in North Carolina: A County-Level Analysis,” December 2014
- Scott Nystrom and Patrick Luckow, “The Economic, Climate, Fiscal, Power, and Demographic Impact of a National Fee-and-Dividend Carbon Tax,” June 2014
- Fred Treyz, Sherri Lawrence, and Scott Nystrom, “New Residence Adjustment and Unemployment Calculations for PI+ v. 1.5 Models,” June 2014
- Ken Ditzel and Scott Nystrom, “The Economic Impact of the Access Northeast Pipeline on Rhode Island,” September 2016