- Managing Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +1 714 478 7426
- B.S., Criminology, University of Oklahoma
Shannon Bales is a Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in Los Angeles. As a member of the Trial Services practice in the Forensic & Litigation Consulting segment, he is responsible for building a technical environment for legal teams to present their case in that maximizes decision maker understanding and minimizes downtime and security risk.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting in 2017, Mr. Bales led a diverse eDiscovery team at Munger, Tolles and Olson for 14 years and specialized in complex trial needs, eDiscovery, document review and forensic collection. Shannon has worked on some of the largest and most technically difficult cases in the country like the BP Oil Spill and mortgage backed securities litigation and has built the technical environment for two war crimes Tribunals for the UN in Rwanda and Cambodia. Shannon also gives back to the legal community and teaches legal technology at UCLA and is a frequent speaker at his Alma Matter, The University of Oklahoma where he often presents on legal technology topics to the law school. Shannon was awarded the Legaltech Award for “Best Use of Technology at a Trial” for his work in Cambodia and was a finalist for his technology work at the BP Oil Spill trial. Last, Shannon is a frequent contributor to www.NITA.org where he has authored a number of blog articles on legal technology topics.
He has worked with legal teams from firms that include: Munger, Tolles & Olson, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, Latham & Watkins, Sidley Austin, Shook Hardy & Bacon and Zelle Hoffman. His representations have included work on behalf of Rambus, Transocean, Wells Fargo, Johnson & Johnson, NBC Universal, Motion Picture Association of America to name a few.
Awards & Recognition
- 2015 Finalist "Most Innovative Use of Technology for a Law Firm Over 100 Attorneys", Law Technology News “Legaltech”, For work performed in support of the BP Oil Spill Trial
- 2009 Winner Most Innovative Use of Technology During a Trial, Law Technology News Legaltech”, For work performed in support of the Cambodian War Crimes Tribunal
- J. Edgar Hoover Foundation Award for Citizenship