- Senior Managing Director
- T: +1 345 516 1623
- F: +1 345 749 6830
- Suite 3212
- 53 Market Street, Camana Bay
- PO Box 30613
- Grand Cayman, KY1-1203
- Cayman Islands
- T: +1 345 743 6830
- F: +1 345 749 6830
- LLB (Hons), University of Leicester
- Fellow of Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (FCCA)
- Licensed Insolvency Practitioner – Insolvency Practitioners Association (UK)
- Joint Insolvency Examinations Board (JIEB)
- Insolvency Practitioners Association (UK)
- Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association (Cayman)
- INSOL International
- Restructuring / Turnaround Services
- Bankruptcy Process & Contingency Planning
- Creditor Rights, Relations & Negotiations
- Litigation Support & Consulting Services
- Asset Tracing & Recovery
- Financial Institutions
- Real Estate & Infrastructure
David Griffin is a Senior Managing Director in the Corporate Finance & Restructuring segment of FTI Consulting and is based in the Cayman Islands. Mr. Griffin has more than 15 years’ experience in insolvency and restructuring matters, including eight years based in the Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands, where he specialized in cross-border insolvency and restructuring matters involving offshore companies.
Mr. Griffin has extensive experience in all aspects of the offshore financial services industry. He has been involved in some of the largest insolvency and restructuring matters in the region involving distressed investment funds, offshore banks, insurance companies, fraudulent investment schemes and failed structured finance vehicles.
Relevant examples of previous engagements include:
- Liquidator of an open-ended fund holding participation interests valued at US$110 million in residential and commercial real estate developments in the U.S. and Caribbean.
- Liquidator of a highly leveraged Master/Feeder fund structure, facing liquidity pressure due to margin calls on complex derivative positions relating to Asian listed companies.
- Provisional Liquidator and Official Liquidator of Asia Strategic Capital Fund LP, a closed ended Cayman fund, involving the investigation of allegations of misconduct against the Fund’s Investment Manager.
- Dealing with several distressed funds affected by the collapse of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC with reported net asset values of between US$50 million and US$4 billion, the engagement involved significant U.S. litigation.
- Investigations and liquidations involving 57 Cayman companies implicated in a Ponzi scheme with investments amounting to US$300 million from predominantly U.S. based investors.
- Liquidation of a Cayman fund which involved extensive litigation in the Cayman Islands and U.S. following the discovery of a US$180 million fraud perpetrated by its Investment Manager.
- Court appointed receivership over two companies arising from fraud in relation to two jersey trusts. This involved taking legal action to investigate and recover cash balances, financial investments, real property, art work and other valuable assets from a complex network of companies in Switzerland, Panama, Liechtenstein, UK and U.S.
- Dealing with the winding up of several failed Cayman registered banks with branches in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, and the management and distribution of investment portfolios held in custody.
- Assisting with the wind down of two funds involving disputes with major institutional counter-parties regarding the close out and valuation of complex swap positions.
- Advice to directors and solvent (voluntary) liquidations of numerous offshore registered funds across a wide range of asset classes affected by excessive redemptions, performance, liquidity, valuation, regulatory or operational issues.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Griffin was National Head of the Contentious Insolvency and Asset Recovery team of a major international accounting firm in the UK. From 2004 to 2011, he held managerial positions with another firm of restructuring advisors in the Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands.