- Senior Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +86 21 2315 1146
- F: +86 21 6352 3616
- Unit 2101-04, Central Plaza
- 227 Huangpi (N) Road
- Shanghai, 200003
- T: +86 21 2315 1000
- F: +86 21 6352 3616
- B.A., Accounting and Finance, Newcastle University, U.K.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Forensic Accounting & Investigations
Tao Shen is a Senior Director in the Forensic Accounting & Advisory Services practice within the Forensic & Litigation Consulting segment at FTI Consulting and is based in Shanghai, China.
Mr. Shen specialises in financial, internal control and compliance topics with a specific focus on mainland China. Some of his recent projects include:
- Led teams performing anti-corruption risk assessments at a world-leading Chinese home appliance manufacturer with annual sales of RMB200 billion. The assessment was a group-wide exercise involving several of its product lines and in more than 30 overseas countries. This project identified significant compliance risk exposure which resulted in recommendations and the implementation of a roadmap for a global compliance program.
- Assisted the U.S. DOJ appointed independent Monitor in assessing the financial components of the internal control program at a major consumer product multinational company, following its settlement of more than USD$100 million and the deferred prosecution agreement. Mr. Shen contributed significant local expertise during the monitorship assessments in China and Southeast Asia.
- Performed anti-corruption due diligence of a target company’s China operations prior to a transaction of a USD$1 billion global acquisition in the healthcare industry. The due diligence, similar to many others performed by him in the past, involved reviewing financial records, interviewing executive management and auditing third party business partners. He also helped the acquiring company with post-transaction integration and risk remediation.
- Conducted internal investigations in the China operations of a U.S. public industrial product company. The investigation concerned potential FCPA violations, falsification of documents for artificial vendor payments and conflict of interest issues. Despite the fact that the investigation was conducted under a crisis situation following a long delayed release of the company’s SEC filings, it was completed in an effective and efficient manner. The client terminated the China executive management as a result of this investigation.
In addition to his extensive experience in China, he has also led and worked on many cross-border projects including those located in Asia, Europe and Australia. Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Shen was a Manager for the German engineering company Siemens and was based in Beijing. Before that, he worked at KPMG as a Financial Auditor. Mr. Shen holds a B.A. in Accounting and Finance from Newcastle University in the UK. He is a Certified Public Accountant in China. He speaks native Mandarin and is fluent in English.