We offer advice on contractual, technical, commercial and management matters, including:
- Authoritative assistance on acquisitions and merger integration
- Development and delivery of capital programs
- Investigation on entitlement and quantification of time and money claims
- Compliance, accounting and auditing support, and expert testimony
Our Industry Sectors
Capital Program Risk Management
The design of the FTI Consulting capital program risk management services is based on decades of work with construction owners around the world. Our custom solutions have helped clients quickly and accurately identify, quantify, mitigate and monitor the numerous risks associated with their capital expenditures.
Our construction experts assist clients with regulatory, financial, competitive, supply chain, project execution, quality and safety issues. Our capital program risk management services ensure that each of our client’s projects is properly governed, executed and supported from the beginning to the end of the capital program framework.
Areas of risks to be assessed, mitigated and/or managed include:
- General program or project management
- Project budget and cost
- Project schedule, progress measurement and delay
- Scope and change order management
- Quality assurance and control management
- Contract development and administration
- Stakeholder communications and reporting
Construction Advisory & Project Management
The FTI Consulting team of respected industry experts serves owners, architects, engineers, contractors, construction managers and legal counsel. We focus on improving the delivery of construction projects across all segments and rely on well-proven processes and state-of-the-art project management technologies to improve collaboration among project stakeholders and optimize performance.
We offer strategic and tactical services on an as-needed basis or provide total project management and control services for the entire duration of a project. Our professionals have extensive experience both in the project office and in the field and are accustomed to working at all levels of our clients’ organizations, from the boards of directors and executive management to steering committees, project teams and audit committees.
The construction advisory and project management services of FTI Consulting include:
- Auditing and due diligence
- Benchmark studies
- Budget development and management
- Business process improvement
- Capital planning and cash flow analysis
- Change order review
- Claims preparation and defense
- Compliance monitoring
- Construction cost accounting and auditing
- Contract administration
- Contract drafting assistance and risk evaluation
- Cost analytics and auditing
- Document control and retrieval systems
- Governance and executive reporting
- Negotiations support
- Organizational design and assessment
- Planning and scheduling
- Policies and procedures for project delivery and control
- Procurement assistance and management of tender process
- Program and project management
- Progress management
- Project controls implementation and management
- Project diagnostic reviews and project closeouts
- Project monitoring
- Quantity surveys and estimate reviews
- Regulatory support
- Scheduling and progress validation
- Staff augmentation
- Turnarounds and workouts
Cost Analytics & Auditing Services
Clients turn to FTI Consulting for objective advice about forecasting costs, controlling costs, auditing change orders and invoices, and overseeing recovery strategies — all to meet project financial goals without surprises. Also, we quantify direct and indirect costs in support or in defense of requests for additional compensation.
Our cost engineers and construction cost accountants work with owners and contractors to understand, analyze, manage and forecast construction costs. We prepare, provide or analyze estimates, job cost reports, change order pricing, forecasts, invoice reviews, accounting data, payrolls, interest costs and other project records in order to determine, protect or enhance our client’s financial position.
FTI Consulting is always focused on resolving disputes by establishing a clear, commercially driven strategy that will ensure the earliest possible settlement with the most advantageous terms for our clients. Where litigation or arbitration is unavoidable, our experts work as an integrated part of our clients’ legal teams under the leadership of appointed solicitors or legal counsel.
Successful resolution of a dispute is important to the project itself, as well as to the contractor and owner. It requires both tactical and strategic thinking, as things can go wrong on any project. This occasionally results in a dispute that, if left unresolved, can escalate quickly with disastrous consequences. The longer a dispute lasts, the greater the negative impact it can have on business operations. This impact may be measured in terms of cost, time and reputation.
Our support covers the entire dispute and litigation life cycle, from research and analysis to arbitration, mediation or trial. Our services include: fact gathering and document preparation; data management and electronic discovery, including computer forensics; schedule delay, loss-of-productivity and damages analyses; litigation data analysis and e-mail reconstruction; and deposition assistance and expert testimony. We also provide skilled trial communication and graphics consulting that focus on distilling complex information and presenting it in a format that is easy to understand and interpret.
Missteps in government contract projects can lead to disputes and costly litigation, as well as sanctions or fines. Experienced FTI Consulting professionals are experts who have a track record of success helping clients ensure compliance with both the letter and the spirit of government regulations and contract provisions. We support clients through every critical stage of a government contract’s life cycle. Specifically, we provide a wide array of advisory services that address strategic, financial, operational, reputational, regulatory and capital needs of large and small prime contractors and subcontractors including, but not limited to:
- Complying with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and other government regulatory requirements
- Helping clients implement or enhance existing internal controls to mitigate risks of noncompliance
- Preparing for and responding to government auditors
- Efficiently managing government business
- Controlling the dispute process through risk avoidance, alternative dispute resolution procedures and litigation support
Each government contract engagement receives the priority attention and leadership of senior professionals who provide a disciplined, informed approach. Our methodology evaluates the unique requirements of each situation and applies accounting and managerial expertise, as well as regulatory knowledge to identify optimal solutions. Our government contract consulting services focus on helping clients improve financial management, boost financial competitiveness and enhance government contract compliance.
Planning & Scheduling Services
FTI Consulting employs specialists in critical path method (CPM) schedule development, review and progress evaluation for all phases of a capital project. Our professionals are adept at creating and evaluating bid, baseline, recovery, and start-up and commissioning schedules, as well as performing complex schedule delay analyses.
In response to the growing prevalence of Building Information Modeling (BIM), FTI Consulting has developed a 4D scheduling service. Our experts compile the relevant BIM information from the project stakeholders and link the physical representations of building elements to activities in the CPM schedule. The end result is a robust graphic model that displays the planned construction sequence over time. Clients can view the virtual construction of the project as sequenced in the CPM schedule.
FTI Consulting has been engaged to work on corporate, non-profit and government construction projects around the world within the following industries:
- Mining and metals
We advise on a wide range of global construction projects. These include:
- Airports and public transport
- Auditoriums and theaters
- Biomedical and scientific research facilities
- Broadband networks and telecommunications
- Commercial office buildings
- Convention centers
- Data centers and Internet server farms
- Entertainment and theme parks
- Environmental and remediation projects
- Hospitality, gaming and leisure facilities
- Hospitals and medical facilities
- Industrial buildings and manufacturing plants
- Judicial facilities
- Metallurgy and mining
- Military and government installations
- Multifamily residential and public housing
- Museums and cultural centers
- Oil and gas refineries, offshore production and storage facilities
- Power generation, energy and utilities
- Prisons and correctional facilities
- Rail and public transit
- Research and laboratory facilities
- Roads, highways, bridges, tunnels and seaports
- Schools and universities
- Sports arenas and stadiums
- Water/wastewater treatment facilities
The FTI Consulting Strategic Communications team includes specialized sector experts who have represented a broad range of organizations and companies, from start-ups to multinationals. We offer clients access to professionals who are focused exclusively on their company’s specific industry, have a broad network of relationships with key influencers, and provide communications counsel based on in-depth industry knowledge and expertise.
Our comprehensive suite of integrated communications services within the global construction industry includes:
Senior Managing Director, Leader of Construction Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Co-Leader of Construction Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Co-Leader of Construction Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Head of Asia Pacific Construction Solutions
Senior Managing Director, Leader of Global International Arbitration
Senior Managing Director