Building Greater Awareness of Child Sexual Abuse Cases in Hong Kong Through Centralized Data
January 17, 2024DownloadsDownload Case Study
TALK Hong Kong (“TALK”), a peer-led organization tackling child sexual abuse in Hong Kong, wanted to better understand the prevalence of child sexual abuse, an issue that is underreported globally. TALK believes that the prevalence of child sexual abuse in Hong Kong is not well known for two primary reasons:
- The issue is difficult to estimate due to limited and varied available information.
- A comparison of available global data from around the world suggests that only a fraction of cases that occur in Hong Kong are reported.1
While several Hong Kong government agencies and NGOs collect data relevant to child sexual abuse, the information is inconsistent across the organizations, and no centralized location consolidates the information for analysis.1 Through a personal connection with the Director and Founder of TALK, a team of experts from FTI Consulting worked alongside the organization in a pro bono capacity to help establish TALK as a centralized resource for information about child sexual abuse in Hong Kong.
- Working closely with TALK, FTI Consulting professionals sourced and analyzed data from various government departments and bureaus, NGOs and academic resources to understand the availability, nature and consistency of data available across the organizations.
- The FTI Consulting team created an interactive, visual dashboard housed on TALK’s website that highlights the data, trends and results of the analyses, as well as gaps in tracked data maintained by groups such as the local police and Hong Kong Department of Justice.
- The FTI Consulting professionals dedicated nearly 200 hours of pro bono time to support TALK’s mission.
- The data gathered by FTI Consulting was leveraged in an inaugural report on the scale and nature of child sexual abuse in Hong Kong.
- The analyses conducted by FTI Consulting highlighted the inconsistencies in data between organizations, which provides an opportunity to improve the future quality of their reporting.
- Following these efforts, TALK is using the report to spark conversations and raise awareness on the issue with the general public.