How we can help
Organizations considering strategic transactions need extensive support before and during the deal process to guarantee the best possible outcomes. They rely on FTI Consulting to help identify and address challenges and to successfully execute every step of a transaction. Our seasoned experts across Canada perform financial, operational and commercial due diligence, identify cost and revenue synergies, determine the “costs to achieve” planned savings, and develop and implement Day 1 through Day 100+ plans. We operate on a North American staffing model and can assemble local and/or specialist teams to execute cross-border engagements in an efficient manner.
How We Help
Drawing on our industry expertise and extensive deal experience, we advise private equity, corporate and financial clients on strategy, structure and separation/integration. As an objective, independent partner, we are free from audit-based conflicts and restrictions. Our team of senior-level practitioners understands industry-specific challenges, opportunities and competitive landscapes, enabling us to identify, assess and recommend strategic opportunities for your business.
From quality of earnings and pre-deal assessment, synergy evaluation and operating efficiency identification to post-deal integration, carve-out and transformation work, we scale our senior teams to the level of support you require — whether it’s full-merger separation/integration across multiple work streams or providing pinpoint focus on one discrete area. The team is primarily based out of Toronto, with offices in Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal.
Our transaction services team offers a forward-looking perspective on the fast-paced Canadian and North American...
Our transaction services team offers a forward-looking perspective on the fast-paced Canadian and North American transactions market. Whether representing buyers or sellers, we offer comprehensive financial, operational and commercial due diligence services leading to value-related advice and hands-on support across a full spectrum of industries. We perform the highest-quality due diligence investigations, which contribute significantly to informed decision-making by management on either the buy or sell side of a transaction. We work closely with management to ensure that cost, benefit and risk information is used to achieve the best possible outcome for our clients.
FTI Consulting’s comprehensive, 360-degree approach provides buyers and sellers with a full view of the financial landscape, including the commercial, operational, IT, tax and human capital aspects of a business. Our senior-level practitioners and experts understand the industry-specific challenges, opportunities and competitive environments that underpin a deal. Leveraging decades of transaction experience, we bring on-point expertise and a team sized and matched to your specific needs. Services we offer include:
- Financial Due Diligence: Whether you’re on the buy- or sell-side of a transaction, our financial due diligence services include quality-of-earnings assessment, determination of working capital requirements, net asset analysis, sales/margin analysis, short-term forecast analysis, synergy analysis and carve-out considerations. Clients rely on our deep industry expertise to ensure they get approval to move forward with a deal or determine that the transaction risk is too great.
- Operational Due Diligence: For transactions to be successful, whether you’re on the buy- or sell-side, it’s imperative to know if the company’s operations are appropriately structured to deliver on its business plan. Our operational due diligence (“ODD”) practitioners are well versed in qualitative and quantitative assessment of operational requirements, risks, opportunities and red flags.
- Commercial Due Diligence: Clients rely on our commercial due diligence experts to help them assess, identify and define opportunities to capture revenue, new customers and new businesses. We provide market and company assessments, including customer interviews and assessments; market size evaluations; market share growth assessment and strategy; demand modeling; M&A, antitrust and competition assessments; competitor assessment and assessment of KPIs; value proposition and brand perception assessment; and strategic partnership evaluations.
- HR Due Diligence: HR, compensation and benefits due diligence includes analysis of health and welfare plans, pensions and post-retirement medical plans, compensation and equity plans, employment agreements (change in control, retention, etc.) and other core responsibilities of HR organizations. We focus on the financial and operational aspects of HR, compensation and benefits in M&A.
- IT Due Diligence: When acquiring or selling a company, you need to know if the IT infrastructure can deliver on the company’s business plan. We’re experienced in performing comprehensive technology and cybersecurity assessments to evaluate the overall IT infrastructure and application landscape in addition to cybersecurity risks or opportunities. Clients involved in transactions rely on us to identify and report current-state IT strengths, weaknesses and threats, as well as future-state opportunities and requirements to reduce IT risks and costs, improve and modernize capability and service delivery, and add enterprise value.
- Tax Due Diligence: Our tax due diligence experts review pre-closing tax profile and tax return filings to identify and assess historical tax risks in international, U.S. federal, state and local tax matters. Clients rely on us to effectively advise them on tax-efficient structuring for acquisitions and operations of targeted businesses.
Organisations undergoing mergers and carve-outs need support that mitigates risk, helps minimize business...
Organisations undergoing mergers and carve-outs need support that mitigates risk, helps minimize business disruption and accelerates the evolution to the new company operating model. At many of the world’s top-performing public and private companies, senior executives (heads of corporate development and strategy, chief financial officers, and chief integration officers in charge of a transaction and the requisite integration of corporate entities) rely on our experts for transaction support to complete the deal successfully and efficiently. Clients benefit from the breadth and depth of our service offerings, which support them throughout the entire mergers and acquisitions (“M&A”) transaction life cycle, from decision-making and pre-deal efforts through to post-integration.
Clients across the globe partner with us when they need to maximize the value of their transactions. Our acute focus on both the customer and employee experience helps minimize disruptions during periods of significant change and ensure smooth and swift transitions to new business operating models. Our senior professionals, who are based in every key global market, have decades of experience providing proven, flexible support structures to organizations undergoing major transitions. These structures and processes are designed to quickly adapt to shifts in requirements in the integration planning and execution process. Clients rely on our expertise to drive value through the creation of integration plans that enable successful execution of strategic objectives while optimizing revenue and cost synergies.
Services we offer include:
- Provide an optimal support team with the required industry and transaction expertise
- Perform comprehensive integration due diligence prior to a deal, including, integration planning and synergy assessment
- Lead carve-out due diligence including standalone costs assessment, one-time time costs, TSA costs and stranded costs
- Provide clean room services
- Execute Day 1 through Day 100+ cross-functional interim and desired-state planning, including timing for revenue and cost synergy capture
- Serve as interim management to fulfill needed leadership gaps during a carve-out or management transition
- Design and negotiate transition service agreements (“TSAs”)
- Design target-state customer experience (“CX”) models
- Develop and implement plans for revenue acceleration and sales effectiveness
- Develop, create and implement organizational design changes, culture and change management programs, and pre- and post-close communications plans
FTI Capital Advisors (“FTICA”) professionals specialize in special-situations transaction advisory,...
FTI Capital Advisors (“FTICA”) professionals specialize in special-situations transaction advisory, assisting clients with a range of transactional support including sell-side and buy-side M&A, corporate carve-outs, and capital raising, among others. Our clients rely on FTICA’s expert advice and extensive transaction experience in global mid-market M&A assisting clients in raising private capital and dealing with complex or special situations that require creative transaction solutions. Clients engage us for advice and support on a wide range of transactions and turnarounds, and leverage our C-suite and capital provider relationships and deep industry expertise to ensure efficient, value-creating outcomes.
Our investment banking professionals have years of experience structuring and executing complex global mid-market M&A, capital-raising and balance sheet restructuring transactions for clients. Our clients benefit from FTICA’s collaboration with industry specialists from other practice areas within FTI Consulting to provide an unparalleled combination of global banking execution experience, industry expertise, and deep relationships with industry players and capital providers. This access to decision-makers at prospective acquirers and sources of private financing is key to facilitating transaction success. FTICA’s hands-on approach throughout a transaction life cycle delivers solutions that others are unable or unwilling to provide, and our wide network of cross-border business relationships provides creative, non-conflicted solutions to address client matters.
Services we offer include:
- Sell-side advisory
- Buy-side advisory
- Distressed M&A and capital-raising advisory
- Private placements of debt or equity
- Debt capital markets advisory
- Capital structure advisory
- Board advisory
- Corporate carve-outs
Private equity firms, corporations and financial institutions spend enormous amounts of time and resources...
Private equity firms, corporations and financial institutions spend enormous amounts of time and resources determining the right M&A strategy. Creating the highest return for shareholders may involve acquisition or divestment of divisions or a whole company. FTI Consulting’s industry and strategy experts advise on the optimal M&A strategy in each situation. We work with companies and their boards or private equity sponsors around the world to understand commercial market trends, assess the competitive landscape, evaluate strategic fit of alternative transactions, quantify revenue and cost synergies, estimate potential transaction prices before approaching targets or buyers, and identify the right transaction strategy. Having participated on both sides of the table in multiple industries and geographic markets, our senior experts take an industry-focused approach to transaction strategy. We’re well versed in industry-specific challenges, opportunities and competitive landscapes, enabling us to provide pre-deal value to identify, assess and recommend strategic opportunities for your business. Engage us when:
- You believe an M&A strategy will enhance shareholder value, but you need an independent view on which transaction strategy to pursue
- You want to divest a non-core holding and need to determine the most effective way to transition ownership in the company at an attractive valuation
- You’re looking to enter a new market, whether geographic or product/sector, through an acquisition and want to know what organizations to target
- You need assistance with developing a forecast and valuation model to analyze potential acquisitions
- You’re looking to make an acquisition to shore up your organization’s competitive position and need to determine a reasonable value to pay for the company
- You want to understand how to structure a potential transaction to maximize returns while balancing flexibility
Services we offer include:
- Portfolio and M&A strategy: We partner with corporates and private equity firms to evaluate strategic opportunities for enhancing their existing capabilities or portfolio through M&A activity.
- Investment banking: We provide expert-driven investment banking services, as well as unique “one-stop shop” services, where we seamlessly provide an integrated set of investment banking, restructuring, industry advisory and business transformation services driven by the client’s specific needs.
- Capital advisory: Our team advises both buy-side and sell-side clients on M&A, private placements of debt and equity capital, and strategic alternatives.
- Valuations: We deliver independent and reliable opinions of value to assist with strategic planning. Clients rely on our fairness and solvency opinions, collateral valuations and Independent Expert Reports (“IERs”)
- Tax planning: We help our clients identify strategic opportunities to optimize tax structure as part of a transaction.
- Go-to-market strategy and positioning: Our senior practitioners support both buyers and sellers in developing integrated commercial and communications strategies for either NewCo or RemainCo.