Antonio Rega is a digital forensics, e-discovery and investigations specialist. Over more than 18 years, Mr. Rega has provided consulting, advisory and subject matter expertise to law firms and global corporations in complex investigations and matters involving proactive and reactive discovery and analysis. He also supports clients in areas including data privacy and information governance.
Mr. Rega has deep expertise conducting in-depth forensic examinations of electronically stored information (ESI) across a variety of repositories (cloud-based, localized, or mobile). He regularly assists clients with advisory and strategy through all phases of investigations or litigation needs, including responses to government subpoenas and requests from opposing parties.
Previously, Mr. Rega led Ankura's digital forensics practice, developing and expanding the firm’s forensics and analysis capabilities. His prior experience also includes time at PwC as a director within PwC's forensics and e-discovery practice, and an earlier 10 year duration at FTI Technology, leading domestic and international engagements with a focus on investigations.
Mr. Rega also volunteers periodically as a guest lecturer at Fordham Law School on the topic of forensic technology and contributes material and discussion as a content editor for the American Bar Association, as well as participating as a member of the Sedona Conference Trade Secrets working Group 12.
- Led the team investigating alleged money laundering and suspicious activity for an international bank in Asia, overseeing the forensic analysis of electronic records, document review, database analytics and reporting.
- Led coordination with client IT to perform surreptitious remote data preservation of electronic records, including data captures after normal business hours, for an IP theft investigation in the fintech industry.
- In a cryptocurrency investigation on behalf of a receiver, involving a cryptocurrency hedge fund, provided analysis of computer hard drives, cloud-based repositories and mobile devices for artifacts of cryptocurrency “wallets” and related mining software as well as review of chat communications and emails for references of cryptocurrency holdings, blockchain development, transactions or indications of fraud.
- Provided digital forensics expertise and support for a privacy class action spanning numerous regional hospitals and involving potential transfer of PII/PHI information to 3rd party marketing services, including analysis of website-related html and code, cookies and tracking pixels. Analysis included live network traffic capture and parsing of mobile phone browsing activity.
Testimony and Expert Witness:
- Sworn testimony on behalf of plaintiffs involving allegations of data exfiltration and transfer of intellectual property.
- Declarations on behalf of defendant on the topic of digital forensics and analysis of databases and AWS cloud repositories, as well as identifying deficiencies in deliverables provided by plaintiff.
- Grand jury testimony for the attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud unit, providing a detailed account of forensic collection/analysis and chain of custody procedures, as well as responding to questions by the jury panel.
Awards & Recognition:
- Who’s Who Legal 2020 & 2021: Investigations – Future Leaders - Digital Forensic Experts