Tommy Wakefield-Smith is an international construction expert, specialising in dispute resolution, project planning, programming and the analysis of delay, disruption and acceleration. Tommy is a civil engineer with more than 20 years of experience on engineering and construction projects across South Africa, the UK, the Middle East and Australia in the resources, rail, energy and construction sectors.
Tommy has been responsible for commercial, planning, risk and project management functions, working across all phases of the project life cycle, from feasibility studies through to commissioning.
With more than 13 years of experience in dispute resolution, claims, mediation, adjudication and arbitration, Tommy has led large multibillion-dollar disputes, successfully facilitating favourable commercial settlements when required.
Tommy has undertaken numerous expert appointments, been instructed as expert determiner, testified multiple times and delivered concurrent evidence (hot-tubbing). His experience in all aspects of the project life cycle gives him a thorough understanding of the true cause and effect of project-related issues.
Tommy began his construction career at a major contractor and has implemented national planning improvement programs for two of the UK’s largest engineering firms. He has also worked in lead planning roles on multibillion-dollar projects with EPC firms Bechtel and Parsons Brinckerhoff.
- Instructed as delay and disruption expert on behalf of EPC Contractor for AUD133 million mining project in Australia
- Instructed as delay, disruption and acceleration expert on a USD200 million Arbitration including providing expert testimony for USD3 billion airport terminal in the UAE
- Instructed as delay expert on behalf of the government’s energy department on a USD80 million adjudication, including providing concurrent expert testimony (hot-tubbing) for USD10 billion power station in South Africa
- Authored “Subjective Objectivity-As Built Critical Path analysis” for the Society of Construction Law (2018)
- Served as Project Economics guest lecturer at Melbourne University Law School (2017-2020)
T: +61 7 3225 4900
M: +61 422 098 541
Level 20, CP1
345 Queen Street
Brisbane, QLD 4000
Contract Administration & Disputes