- Managing Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +44 20 3727 1344
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- 200 Aldersgate
- Aldersgate Street
- London, EC1A 4HD
- United Kingdom
- T: +44 20 3727 1000
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- Economics and Accounting, (Hons), University of Hull
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute (Chartered Insurance Practitioner)
- Full Member of the Academy of Experts, London
- Panel Member of ARIAS, UK
Ian Marshall is a Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in London. Mr. Marshall is a member of the Global Insurance Group. Prior to joining FTI Consulting, he was Group Head of Consulting at a firm of insurance consultants. He specialises in insurance technical investigations, arbitration and litigation insurance accounting expert work, and in expert and management roles in Part VII and Scheme of Arrangement processes. He has extensive experience leading major projects relating to accounting, auditing and complex reinsurance transactions. He has been involved in this sector for more than 35 years and has worked in Bermuda and the USA and worked on projects in UK, continental Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, Latin America, Trinidad and Bermuda.
Mr. Marshall has acted as an expert in a variety of arbitrations and court cases in a number of jurisdictions relating to matters such as reinsurance accounting and damage calculations, mapping of loss flows and spirals and reconstruction of loss amounts subject to reinsurance programmes.
He also acted as a sole arbitrator in a reinsurance accounting dispute, issuing a reasoned award.
Mr. Marshall acted as Special Adviser in relation to insurance accounting and auditing to a commission of enquiry into the failure of certain insurance and financial services entities in the Caribbean.
Mr. Marshall has directed a number of investigations and due diligence enquiries into such areas as loss reserve adequacy, reinsurance recoveries and business planning.
He has also directed many compliance audits ranging from internal audits on an outsourced basis, reviews of third party operations to reinsurance assumed and ceded operational and performance reviews.
Sample cases include:
- In Lloyd’s market case Mr. Marshall directed a project to evaluate a syndicate’s business plan and review the variances from the prior plan in relation to pricing and reserving on behalf of a members’ agent as part of their due diligence relating to capacity allocation.
- Mr. Marshall acted as a reinsurance accounting expert in a matter involving a dispute over the basis of calculation of ceded losses. This required devising a methodology to determine the correct loss amounts for over 1,000 claims. The panel adopted Mr. Marshall’s calculations in their award.
- Instructed on behalf of an offshore special purpose vehicle, Mr. Marshall directed the reconstruction of the proportional accounting of numerous underlying transactions to provide an expert opinion on amounts due,
- He remains heavily engaged in the exit strategy field, involving both insurance business transfers and schemes of arrangement. Mr. Marshall was appointed in the first insurance solvent scheme in the UK, the first reinsurance cross border transfer into UK from Germany and the development of the first solvent scheme in the UK providing continuing coverage.
Mr. Marshall also lectures on insurance accounting and reinsurance. He has been recognised in Who’s Who Legal 2016 as an expert witness with significant experience.