- Senior Managing Director
- Corporate Finance & Restructuring
- T: +1 284 852 9051
- Sea Meadow House, 1st Floor
- Road Town
- Tortola, VG1110
- British Virgin Islands
- T: +1 284 541 4200
- Chartered Accountant (CA), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- INSOL International
- Member of the Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association (BVI)
- Corporate Finance
- Restructuring / Turnaround Services
John Ayres is a Senior Managing Director and leads the Corporate Finance & Restructuring segment in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) at FTI Consulting.
John has over 25 years experience in insolvency, restructuring, forensic and corporate recovery services, including contentious cross-border insolvencies, shareholder disputes, asset-tracing investigations and the realisation of complex and illiquid assets. John has also spent a year on secondment with a major bank in the United Kingdom.
Most of John’s current work is international in nature and he has significant experience in many jurisdictions including the United States, Asia, Europe, the Commonwealth of Independent States, Caribbean and the United Kingdom.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, John moved to the BVI in 2010 with his previous firm and managed their office from 2012 onwards. John has been involved in a wide range of work since arriving in the BVI, including both provisional and full liquidation appointments, the rationalisation of corporate groups, receiverships and the winding up of mutual funds.
Recent engagements include:
- A liquidation appointment over six high profile BVI based hedge funds which involved a successful Chapter 15 application and subsequent litigation in the US Courts resulting in a multi-million dollar settlement with the former Advisors to the funds.
- A liquidation appointment of a BVI registered shipping company with a Group HQ in China. Following a successful Chapter 15 application, a detailed investigation was carried out tracing funds through a number of group entities resulting in a settlement being paid by the owner of the Group.
- A receivership and liquidation appointment over a Dubai based entity with oil & gas rights in Azerbaijan.
- A number of liquidation appointments over offshore property holding companies.