- Senior Managing Director
- Corporate Finance & Restructuring
- T: +61 2 8247 8058
- F: +61 2 8247 8099
- Level 15, 50 Pitt Street
- Sydney, NSW, 2000
- T: +61 2 8247 8000
- F: +61 2 8247 8099
- B.Bus., Accounting and Finance, University of Technology Sydney
- Registered and Official Liquidator
- Chartered Accountant, Australia
- Justice of the Peace
- Member of the Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- Restructuring / Turnaround Services
- Financial Institutions
- Retail & Consumer Products
Joseph Hansell is a Senior Managing Director in the Corporate Finance & Restructuring segment of FTI Consulting and is based in Sydney, Australia. He has 18 years of experience in corporate recovery, restructuring, and turnaround management in Australia.
Joseph has developed extensive experience in corporate advisory matters which have primarily involved providing strategic advice, assisting in negotiations and developing solutions with respect to a range of reconstruction and turnaround proposals. He is valued by companies, lenders and capital providers in evaluating business operations and finances, liquidation analysis, liquidity forecasting, analysing collateral, covenant renegotiations, and providing advice on options and contingency planning.
Joseph has experience in a range of corporate restructuring and recovery matters (Receiverships, Voluntary Administrations and Liquidations) which have involved the trade on and sale of distressed businesses, conducting independent business reviews, investigations into corporate failures and litigation for the recovery of debts, antecedent and insolvent transactions.
Joseph has specialist industry expertise in retail, property, manufacturing, aviation, managed investment schemes and financial services and products.Significant Engagements
- Receiver and Manager of KJM Contractors, a large vertically integrated manufacturing and transport operator to the oil and gas sector in Australia. He was appointed by the
- Company’s lender to recover AU$70m in debt financing.
- Voluntary Administrator of Identity Direct, one of Australia’s leading online retailers of personalised children's products, operating in AUS/NZ, US/CAN and UK, with manufacturing operations in NZ.
- Advisor to the board of one of world largest hard coking open-cut coal miners. Provided advice on solvency, together with commentary on the adequacy of AU$2.3bn in debt facilities.
- Advisor and subsequently appointed Voluntary Administrator to SurfStitch Group Limited an ASX listed online retailer. SurfStitch operated a leading surf, skate, snow and apparel online stores in Australia, USA and the UK, a global surf forecasting website, and an Australian surf magazine.
- Responsible for the trade on and sale of Allco Aviation’s leasing book to HNA Group. 60+ aircraft, book value AU$3bn +, 23 international non-recourse lenders.
- Advisor to financier with AU$64m exposure to a large integrated NSW cattle, sheep and cropping business. The engagement involved assisting the Company and its Lender putting in place a AU$50m convertible note with a leading international asset manager.
- Valuation of a 48 aircraft portfolio, book value of AU$1.4bn, to acquire the minority JV interest holder stake in the portfolio.