- Managing Director
- Economic & Financial Consulting
- M.S., Economics, University of York
- Ph.D., Economics, University of KwaZulu Natal
- Antitrust & Competition Economics
- Economic Consulting
- Expert Testimony
- Regulated Industries
Liberty Mncube is a Managing Director at FTI Consulting. He leads the Economic and Financial Consulting practice in Johannesburg. He is an Associate Professor of Competition Economics at the School of Economic and Business Sciences of the University of the Witwatersrand, where he teaches post graduate competition economics. He is an also Honorary Professor of Economics with the Department of Economics at the University of Stellenbosch.
Professor Mncube is a former Chief Economist of the Competition Commission of South Africa. Professor Mncube served as Chief Economist from January 2014 to February 2019. In this post, he oversaw the Competition Commission’s economic analysis in competition law cases and regulation. Professor Mncube is an expert in the application of competition economics to competition law and regularly provides expert economic testimony before the Competition Tribunal. Some of the most recent notable cases in which, during the past five years, Professor Mncube testified as an economics expert for the Competition Commission before the Competition Tribunal include:
- Abuse of dominance, the Commission / Computicket [Competition Tribunal decision found a contravention and imposed R20 million fine], and the Commission / Uniplate Group [Competition Tribunal outcome pending];
- Mergers and Acquisitions, Mediclinic Southern Africa / Matlosana Medical Health Services (MMHS) [Merger prohibited by the Competition Tribunal (First hospital merger prohibition by the Competition Tribunal)], Greif International / Rheem South Africa [Merger prohibited by the Competition Tribunal], Imerys South Africa / Andalusite Resources [Merger prohibited by the Competition Tribunal and Competition Appeal Court (First intermediate merger prohibition by the Competition Appeal Court)], and Tsogo Sun / Sun International South Africa [Merger prohibited after parties abandoned the re-consideration];
- Cartels and Information exchange, the Commission / NPC CIMPOR [Competition Tribunal outcome pending]; and
- Settlements, the Commission / ArcelorMittal [Mittal] settlement [R1.5 billion fine, the largest fine imposed on a single company].
Prior to joining the Competition Commission in September 2007, Professor Mncube was a Researcher at the Development Policy Research Unit (DPRU), University of Cape Town. He has published widely on competition policy and economics in leading local and international journals, including the Journal of Competition Law and Economics; the Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade; and the South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences. His recent co - edited book, titled “Competition Policy for the New Era” was published by Oxford University Press in 2017.
In addition to his exceptional regulatory and academic career, Professor Mncube served as a member of the Ministerial Advisory Panel tasked with developing draft amendments to the Competition Act (2017). He is also an Associate of CRESSE, an international network of prominent scholars and practitioners in competition policy and regulation. He is one of South Africa's leading competition economists and he was a finalist for 2019 Economist of the Year award by the Global Competition Review.
Professor Mncube received a Ph.D., in Economics from the University of KwaZulu-Natal and an M.Sc., in Economics from the University of York. He was also a visiting PhD student at the Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.