FTI Consulting Releases ASEAN Disclosure Index 2018
Report Focuses on Board Quality, Risk Disclosure Standards in ASEAN Region
FTI Consulting’s latest ASEAN Disclosure Index reveals that companies in the region overall scored well on corporate disclosure, with an average Composite Disclosure score of 7.8 out of a maximum of 10 and an average Board Quality score of 3 out of a maximum of 4. However, many companies in the region could improve their risk disclosure standards, with an average Risk Disclosure score of 3.8 out of a maximum of 5 for all 180 companies.
ASEAN Disclosure Index 2018 Highlights:
- 24 of the 180 ASEAN companies (13%) are classified as corporate disclosure champions, with Composite Disclosure scores of 10/10. Eleven of these companies are from
Malaysia, eight are from Thailand, three are from Singaporeand three are from Indonesia. Ten out of the 24 companies are from the Banking/Financial Services sector, and four are from the Telecom/Tech sector.
Board Quality Scores:
- 45 out of the 180 companies (25%) do not have any female board members.
- Only 49 (27%) of the 180 ASEAN-listed companies provide third-party board evaluations, though most provide self-evaluations.
- Between the six jurisdictions, Malaysian companies have the highest average Board Quality score of 3.5/4, followed by
Singaporeand Thailandat 3.2/4, Indonesiaat 3/4, the Philippinesat 2.9/4, and Vietnamat 2.5/4.
- Aggregated by industry, Telecom/Tech companies have the highest average Board Quality score at 3.5/4, followed by Banks/Financial Services and Healthcare/Pharma companies at 3.2/4, Energy/Utilities at 3.1/4, and Real Estate/Construction companies and Food/Consumer Goods companies at 2.8/4.
- In terms of gender diversity at the board level (i.e., at least one female director), Malaysian companies scored the highest (29 of 30 companies had at least one female director), followed by Thai companies (24 of 30 companies had at least one female director). Across
the Philippines, Vietnamand Singapore, 21 of 30 companies in each country have at least one female director on their board. Indonesian companies are the weakest on this disclosure parameter, with only 19 of 30 companies having at least one female director.
Risk Disclosure Scores:
- 81 of the 180 ASEAN (45%) companies do not provide a convenient whistleblowing mechanism (phone number or email) on their website or in their annual report.
- 66 (37%) do not provide analyst transcripts or details of analyst engagements (even if investor presentations are available on the website).
- A majority of companies (74%) provide sustainability reports with international benchmarks (i.e., Global Reporting Initiative standards), but the remaining 26% (47 companies) do not.
- Between the six jurisdictions, Thai companies have the highest average Risk Disclosure score of 4.5/5, followed by Malaysian companies at 4.2/ 5 and Singaporean companies at 4.1/5. They are followed by companies in
Indonesiaand the Philippinesat 3.9/5, and Vietnamat 1.9/5.
- Aggregated by sector, Telecom/Tech companies have the highest average Risk Disclosure score of 4.9/5, followed by Energy/Utilities at 4.6/5, and Healthcare/Pharma at 4.3/5. The Banking/Financial Services and Manufacturing/Industrial sectors have average Risk Disclosure scores of 3.5/5 and 3.4/5, respectively.
“The ASEAN Disclosure Index report shows that progress is being made in the region to raise corporate transparency and non-financial disclosure, but there is still room for improvement,” said
Commenting on the ASEAN Disclosure Index 2018,
About the ASEAN Disclosure Index 2018
The ASEAN Disclosure Index 2018 is a report of corporate disclosure by 180 listed companies in the ASEAN region as assessed on 12 publicly available information disclosure parameters. The full report and methodology can be found here.
1 Constituents of FTSE ASEAN Stars Index
FTI Consulting, Inc. 555 12th Street NWWashington, DC 20004 +1.202.312.9100 Investor Contact: Mollie Hawkes+1.617.747.1791 email@example.com Media Contact: Sarah Hartland-Mahon+65 6831 7819 firstname.lastname@example.org