Michael Bates has over 16 years experience working across a wide variety of Business Transformation matters, with a focus on Private Capital Advisory Services.
Michael helps Private Equity (“PE”) clients, boards, c-suite, and Management teams navigate through uncertain, challenging times. Michael’s involvement is typically driven by an event, either the result of a transaction (from origination), or a period of under performance.
Michael has specific expertise in undertaking due diligence, merger integration, cost optimisation, cash and working capital management, crisis management, organisational design, performance improvement, independent strategic and diagnostic reviews of businesses, and solving complex business problems.
Michael has led engagements in retail & consumer products, media, technology, leisure and tourism, manufacturing, property and financial services.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting in 2016, Michael was a Senior Manager at McGrathNicol where he spent 12 years working on a range of restructuring and advisory matters.
- Project Opal Integration – leading the Merger Integration of Isentia Group Limited and Access Intelligence PLC
- Project Opal – led the Commercial Due Diligence of a major Australian SaaS business
- Staples / Winc – separation, strategy, merger integration and sales force effectiveness
- Hertz, Aus & NZ - cash forecasting, cost optimization and stakeholder
- GFG Alliance – cash forecasting and working capital optimisation
- ASX listed apparel wear retailer – 1,000 stores across six brands, Board advisory, cash forecasting, and cost optimisation
- Buy-side financial advisor - to a number of PE and / or family office funds, assisting from origination to deal completion
- Transformational adviser - to a number of portfolio companies on behalf of PE clients, with a particular focus on cash management and cost optimisation
- Independent business reviews - undertake numerous reviews on behalf of borrowers and financial sponsors