Print Media Service Sheet
Book Publishing, Magazines, Newspapers
March 17, 2021
Print Media Service Sheet
Since the inception of the Internet and wireless connected devices, the Telecommunications, Media & Technology team at FTI Consulting has been helping clients adjust to the rapid evolution in the various media industries. Our professionals leverage their experience in newspapers, magazines, book publishing, education and Internet-based businesses and help media companies and their stakeholders adapt to the effects of digital transformation and changing consumer behaviour. We use a unique combination of strategic, financial and operational analyses to assess and address the critical factors that drive (or impair) company value in today’s complex and quickly changing environment.
- Strategy & Implementation. We have expertise in all areas of book publishing business operations, including digital strategy, sales and marketing, production, information technology, circulation, finance, customer care and organisational design. Our professionals specialise in aligning corporate strategy and operations to improve profitability through digital and legacy revenue improvement measures and appropriate cost reductions.
- Profitability Improvement. We use a disciplined approach to creating sustainable, measurable improvements in return on investment, cash flow and enterprise value. To maximise effectiveness, FTI Consulting draws on the perspective gained from work on more than 200 engagements, understanding of industry best practices for key operating metrics, our proprietary company database and the knowledge of how to adapt and adopt those experiences to the specific situation at each individual client company. In the rapidly changing, competitive book publishing, FTI Consulting approaches profitability improvement in two broad categories:
Revenue accelerators:customer segmentation and profitability analysis, channel development, organisational design (traditional and digital), sales processes and salesforce effectiveness, customer satisfaction scoring and retention, service delivery process efficiency, price optimisation, new product development.
Cost efficiencies: organisational cost structures (traditional and digital), strategic outsourcing, performance management, financial planning and analysis improvement/key performance indicator dashboards, working capital optimisation, information technology rationalisation/operating model, change management.
- Digital Performance Improvement. FTI Consulting uses a disciplined, data-driven approach to achieve revenue growth and cost reduction. Drawing on databases of operating metrics, industry best practices and the expertise of our industry professionals, we deliver practical solutions to improve pricing strategies, inventory segmentation, audience engagement, sales funnels, cost per thousand rates and other operating metrics. Our technology professionals help companies improve their digital infrastructure to fit seamlessly into digital ecosystems and integrate analytics throughout a company.
- Merger Integration/Carve-outs. FTI Consulting provides a rare blend of traditional strategy implementation with extensive telecom operations experience in merger integration and carve-outs to identify merger synergies. We develop detailed integration and implementation plans that help management stay focused on running day-to-day operations yet speed integration and valuable cost savings, including (among others) clean room analysis, network operations, salesforce and channel integration, make vs buy vs outsource decisions (manufacturing), spectrum planning and auction strategy, vendor and supply chain management, and optimisation of equipment usage and purchase strategies.
- Valuation. With more than 1,350 transactions completed, our valuation experts understand the complexities of analysing assets and businesses in both dynamic and declining markets. Our professionals bring a unique depth of financial and practical experience to all our valuation engagements. By leveraging our significant industry expertise, we also specialise in assessing the value of intellectual property and intangible assets.
Financial opinions and valuation services include transaction-based opinions (fairness, solvency, collateral valuation, intellectual property and intangible asset valuation and going concern opinions), financial reporting opinions.
Purchase price allocation and goodwill impairment (ASC 805), portfolio valuations for private equity funds, hedge funds, banks and other capital market constituents (ASC 820), incentive compensation, options and “cheap stock” (ASC 718), revenue recognition for multi-element licensing arrangements (ASU 2009-13), and derivative valuation opinions (ASC 815)), and tax planning and reporting opinions (estate and gift tax opinions, enterprise, minority interest and asset valuations, and equity/share-based incentives and compensation for services (IRS Sec. 409A)).
The valuation specialists at FTI Consulting help determine the value of intellectual property so that companies can manage their IP optimally. The FTI Consulting team’s extensive experience includes the valuation of proprietary technology, technical know-how, product designs, in process technology/ R&D, patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyrights. Utilising a proprietary royalty rate database and various online databases, the experts at FTI Consulting have provided estimates of fair market value and appropriate arm’s length royalty rates worldwide for corporate transactions, licensing, strategic tax planning, financial statement presentation, financing and litigation.
- Investment Banking. We combine extensive telecom industry experience and company-specific financial/operational knowledge with execution expertise to identify value drivers and risks critical to a transaction outcome.
We have been distinguished among financial advisers for assisting clients in the development of business plans and financial forecasts to consummate merger and acquisitions and financing transactions. And potential buyers, sellers and financing sources count on our analyses and valuation estimates in a way few investment bankers can match.
Through our FINRA-regulated investment banking subsidiary, FTI Capital Advisors, LLC, we leverage knowledge of our clients and their markets. Our professionals provide insight and answers that drive value and overcome obstacles to help complete sale, acquisition and capital raise transactions and to provide valuation and fairness opinions.
- Restructuring. FTI Consulting has a highly respected track record of assessing operations, developing strategic alternatives and contingency plans, stabilising over-leveraged companies, restructuring debt and equity, selling distressed companies and maximising value to constituents. Representing companies, funds, banks and trade creditors, our teams are active worldwide: North America and Mexico, South America, Europe and the Asia Pacific region. Our experts are certified as trustees and examiners in many jurisdictions around the world.
With our in-depth, telecom-specific operational experience and world-class restructuring expertise, FTI Consulting has led the restructuring league tables quarter after quarter. We have represented one of the major constituents in nearly every significant telecom restructuring since the millennium began.
- Strategic Communications. The Telecommunications industry team within our Strategic Communications practice includes sector experts with experience representing a broad range of organisations and companies in telecommunications throughout the world, from start-ups to multinationals. Our clients benefit from the team’s relationships with key media influencers to provide a suite of integrated communications services, including corporate and employee communications, financial communications, public affairs, creative engagement, strategy consulting and research, and crisis communications.