Christopher DeSá specializes in complex, cross-border disputes and investigations in Latin America. He also helps clients identify, understand and manage numerous other regulatory, legal, social, political and reputational risks and challenges in emerging markets.
Drawing on Mr. DeSá’s experience in Latin America as a securities lawyer and investigator, he works with clients to manage and resolve cross-border conflicts, investigations and crises in the region. His expertise includes investigative fact finding, forensic accounting, privileged consulting, expert witness services and a wide range of risk management matters.
In the context of disputes, Mr. DeSá develops multidisciplinary strategies and tactics to successfully achieve the client’s legal and commercial objectives, including on securities litigation, class actions, regulatory disputes, commercial litigation and international arbitrations. He also regularly uses this multidisciplinary approach to help clients investigate, manage and respond to risks and crises that might arise in their Latin American operations, including around corruption, fraud, political disruption, labor and social unrest, and other related reputational risks and challenges. He has overseen hundreds of due diligence investigations of potential partners and acquisition targets, ranging from basic public records checks to deep forensic accounting transaction tests.
- Developing an expert report for counsel with detailed analysis and assessment of corruption and fraud allegations against the seller in a post-acquisition arbitration dispute.
- Providing an expert report for counsel on the corruption, political and regulatory environment in the oil and gas industry in high-profile securities litigation.
- Advising a leading petrochemical company on political risks in the region and mapping out key local stakeholders in a multibillion acquisition.
- Overseeing a complex investigation into alleged corruption in the region by a leading Canadian oil and gas company.
- Leading a global asset search in Asia, Europe and North America for a leading Latin American oil and gas company in preparation for international arbitration proceedings.
Prior to FTI Consulting, Mr. DeSá worked with a global risk consultancy in South America. He began his career as a securities lawyer in the São Paulo office of White & Case, LLP.
Mr. DeSá holds an M.Phil., with distinction, from the University of Oxford, a J.D., with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law, where he was a member of the Texas Law Review, and a B.A. from UCLA.
Mr. DeSá is fluent in English and Portuguese and offers a working knowledge of Spanish.
T: +1 213 280 5536
350 S. Grand Avenue
Los Angeles , CA - 90071
Global Risk & Investigations