Cynthia Nelson has been advising stakeholders with interests in real estate for more than 30 years. In particular, she has expertise in connection with large-scale land development, master planned communities, retail and hospitality, among other land uses.
Ms. Nelson assists clients in evaluating, developing and implementing turnaround plans and restructurings in both judicial and non-judicial circumstances and providing litigation support and testimony in adversarial proceedings. She advises owners, boards of directors, managers, investors, lenders and creditors by analyzing financing and capital structuring options; conducting acquisition and financing due diligence; developing and implementing asset disposition plans to maximize value; negotiating resolution of troubled credits; evaluating insolvency, investigating potentially fraudulent transfers and determining damages in connection with contract breaches and tort claims.
Prior to its acquisition by FTI Consulting, Ms. Nelson was a partner in PricewaterhouseCoopers' Business Recovery Services group. Before that, she was a senior associate at Jones Lang Wootton USA, an associate at Laventhol & Horwath in its Real Estate Advisory Services practice and a development assistant at Valencia Company/Newhall Land & Farming.
Ms. Nelson is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars. She has been a panelist at programs sponsored by the ABI, California Bankruptcy Forum, Financial Lawyers Conference, American College of Bankruptcy and other organizations. She served as co-chair of the 2016 Global TMA Conference and 2019 TMA Distressed Investing Conference.
Ms. Nelson has also published articles in Real Estate Finance Journal, ABI Journal, CPA Expert, Shopping Center Business, Daily Bankruptcy Review, Journal of Turnaround Management, Socioeconomic Planning Sciences and Urban Land, among other publications.
- Led FTI real estate teams as financial advisor to UCCs in connection with the Chapter 11 proceedings of Toys "R" Us, Sears and JCPenney.
- Served as court- appointed Chapter 11 Trustee for South Edge LLC, aka Inspirada, a master planned community located near Las Vegas, NV.
- Served as court-appointed Receiver for Talisker Club near Park City, UT; led consensual restructuring of master planned golf and ski resort community.
- Led FTI's engagement as financial advisor to UCC for the bankruptcy of U.S. affiliates of Regus Corp., a global provider of flexible office solutions.
- Led and/or participated in advising lenders and creditors in the bankruptcies of major regional mall REITs, including PREIT, Washington Prime Group and GGP.
- Advised various stakeholders in connection with restructurings of film exhibitors, including Studio Movie Grill, Edwards Theatres, General Cinemas, Mann Theatres and others.
- Advise secured lenders with respect to Interest rate and plan feasibility issues in connection with single asset real estate cases.
- Advise bondholders in connection with restructuring of credits involving military housing and troubled public sector entities.
T: +1 213 452 6026
350 S. Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Restructuring / Turnaround Services