Dera Nevin is a data lawyer and expert, with more than 20 years of experience addressing digital risk issues, including privacy, data protection, information risk management, e-discovery and the application of emerging technologies to the delivery of legal services. Ms. Nevin specializes in applying artificial intelligence, automation and synthetic data strategies to complex client challenges.
Ms. Nevin works closely with corporate and law firm clients to establish litigation and regulatory readiness programs and benchmarks, and operationalize technology-forward data compliance frameworks. She is an expert across numerous areas of digital insights and risk management and is known for her early work in e-discovery, including her role in pioneering the use of novel forms of digital evidence within litigation and regulatory investigations, and assisting with the design and use of technology to acquire, process and present that evidence. Ms. Nevin is widely regarded as a visionary and leader in the treatment of digital legal information during complex cross-border movement of sensitive data.
Ms. Nevin’s experience includes supporting global organizations across information governance, proactive privacy and data protection compliance, breach response, regulatory investigations, technology implementation, e-discovery and the development of litigation readiness programs. She has also facilitated privacy and data protection assessment programs and provided scoping frameworks for privacy assessments and audits.
Prior to joining FTI Technology, Ms. Nevin was the data policy and strategy officer, legal and compliance, at Blackstone, Inc., where she developed and oversaw global privacy, data protection, information risk management and data science compliance programs, including selection and implementation of privacy technology and data discovery technology. She also established due diligence policies and frameworks for M&A activity and portfolio company oversight. She has also practiced as a data lawyer at Baker & McKenzie and Proskauer Rose, as well as at additional financial institutions and law firms.
Ms. Nevin is a frequent industry speaker, writer and mentor.
- Implemented a comprehensive litigation hold and defensible deletion program across emails and backup tapes for a regulated financial entity
- Assisted organizations in the financial services, pharmaceutical and health care industries to implement General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) readiness programs, including targeted deletion of personal data
- Advised on the collation of disparate data sets containing personal information and personal health information harvested from multiple sources, and on the use of privacy-enhancing technologies and the creation of synthetic data sets prior to data sharing and transfer
- Advised organizations on cloud and server architecture, data localization and personal data access to ensure compliance with data protection and privacy regulations and on the development of mechanisms for treatment of data subject to export control regulations
- Oversight of complex collection and data management in multidistrict litigation, including an 11TB case involving more than 1,500 custodians, the collection of data from over 250 mobile devices and the use of technology-assisted review to streamline document review
- Advised organizations on acquiring and implementing programs for e-discovery technology and services, litigation hold, privacy and data loss prevention and information governance programs, and advised financial institutions on the implementation and management of email and message archiving solutions