James Bender assists companies and creditors through debt restructuring transactions in Latin America. Mr. Bender has more than 10 years of experience working with investors, creditors and multi-national companies to obtain better understanding of the facts and circumstances of particular situations, enabling clients to make better decisions at the negotiating table. His industry experience includes energy, construction, pharmaceutical, transportation, mining, oil and gas, government, automotive and consumer staples.
Mr. Bender’s practical experience includes the execution of due diligence matters, financial and industry analysis and financial modeling. This includes capital structure models, integrated operational models, integrated cash flows and other financial models used to assist stakeholders in understanding and negotiating complex transactions.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Bender was a Senior Equity Research Associate at Scotiabank Global Banking and Markets in Toronto covering the gold and precious minerals sector. Preceding this role, he served as an auditor at PricewaterhouseCoopers (“PwC”).
Mr. Bender holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Wilfrid Laurier University. He is a Chartered Professional Accountant (“CPA”), a Chartered Financial Analyst (“CFA”) and a Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Professional. In addition, Mr. Bender is fluent in Spanish and English.
- Advisor to Automotores Gildemeister, a Chilean importer and retailer of Hyundai cars, in their successful restructuring of USD$700 million bonds in 2016, 2019 and 2020
- Advisor to the lenders of Constellation Oil Services Holding S.A., an offshore oil driller in Brazil
- Advisor to the largest insurance company and also to the banks involved in the USD$8 billion sovereign restructuring of Barbados
- Advisor to the relationship banks of Avianca Holdings Inc., Colombia’s largest airline, in the restructuring of its USD$5 billion of debt
- Advisor to Concordia Healthcare Corp, a publicly traded pharmaceutical company based in Canada
- Advisor to Empresas ICA, one of the largest construction companies in Latin America
- Advisor to the bondholders of OAS S.A., one of the largest Brazilian construction companies
- Advisor to the bondholders of Arendal, an engineering, procurement and construction (“EPC”) company in Mexico, specialized in the energy sector
T: +1 416.649.8057
TD South Tower, 79 Wellington Street West
Toronto Dominion Centre, Suite 2010, P.O. Box 104
Toronto, ON M5K 1G8