Jason Mann leads FTI Consulting’s Regulated Industries and Energy Markets group. Jason's primary focus is on the energy sector, although he works across a range of regulated sectors including payments systems, water, telecoms, healthcare and airports.
With 25 years’ experience of working in energy markets, Jason has worked extensively in the British energy market from the commencement of the liberalisation process to the current day. He has worked closely with regulated companies such as National Grid, the energy market regulator, Ofgem and wholesale market participants on the design and operation of the wholesale gas and power market. He leads a global team of electricity market design experts from Europe, USA and Australia and advises clients globally on developments in wholesale electricity markets to better facilitate the transition away from carbon-based electricity generation to renewables generation.
He also has extensive experience of network regulation and tariff setting – being closely involved since the 1990s in the development of regulatory regimes for gas and electricity networks. Jason is a leading advisor on the development and operation of cross border electricity transmission assets (known as interconnectors) – having advised more than 20 different projects throughout Europe, Australia and Southern Africa on a range of market, regulatory and valuation issues.
Jason has also considerable experience internationally - having worked in the energy sectors of USA, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Romania, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Brazil, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, Oman, Spain and Israel. Jason also is an advisor in energy asset transactions and has worked for a number of well-known financial market participants.
Outside of the energy sector, Jason advises clients in other regulated sectors such as telecoms, water, payment systems, airports, and healthcare.
Jason joined FTI Consulting in September 2012. Previously he has worked at Frontier Economics, PA Consulting, PwC Consulting and the Bank of England
- Australian energy market authority (2019-2020): Jason led the work with an energy authority in Australia on the analysis of international case studies of wholesale power market design, with a focus on day-ahead markets.
- European electricity interconnector (2019 – ongoing): Jason is leading an FTI engagement to support the owner of an existing HVDC electricity interconnector in relation to regulatory matters under the Third Energy Package.
- European airport regulator (2019): Led FTI’s work advising a European airport regulator on the approach to regulation of a proposed new runway including consideration of various models of introducing competition in the provision of some parts of the regulated asset base.
- European offshore windfarm developer (2019): Led work considering various regulatory options for development of offshore transmission in the context of “Energy Islands” located in the North Sea and Baltic Sea and the ways in which it might be possible to compete to provide transmission.
- Western Victoria transmission competition (2019): Led FTI’s work advising a bidder in the recent competition for the provision of onshore electricity transmission assets in Western Victoria, Australia
- European telecoms operator (2019): Provided advice to an owner of fibre infrastructure on its strategy for FTTP network deployment, including extensive support on developing detailed modelling tools for assessing the strength of the business case.
- Sussex MSK Partnership (2017): Supported organisations that had entered into a contractual arrangement to provide more integrated musculoskeletal (MSK) care in Sussex to examine the agreement to ensure that financial risks were allocated to the party best placed to manage them.
B.Sc., Economics, University of Bristol
T: +44 20 3727 1338
London EC1A 4HD
Network Industry Strategies