Ken Ditzel leads the firm’s North American energy and environmental market advisory team. He has more than 20 years of experience in market analysis and consulting. His work has been used in antitrust and competitive assessments; arbitration, litigation and regulatory disputes; asset due diligence; corporate growth strategies; integrated resource plans; project feasibility studies; and policy analyses. He often uses statistical and optimization models to determine how changes in market and regulatory variables affect commodity supply, demand and prices. His clients have included financial institutions, independent power producers, manufacturers, private equity firms, technology firms, trade associations, and utilities. His work has covered the agriculture, biofuels, coal, electricity, domestic gas and LNG, manufacturing, oil and refined products, petrochemicals, and renewables industries.
As the co-lead for the firm’s North American economic impacts group, Mr. Ditzel uses models such as IMPLAN, REMI and GTAP to assess current and future impacts to GDP, employment, labor income and tax revenues at the project, county, state, market, national and international levels. Mr. Ditzel’s economic impact work has covered the agriculture, energy, forestry, infrastructure, manufacturing, petrochemical, real estate, and retail and wholesale trade sectors.
Mr. Ditzel also leads the firm’s Scope 1-3 greenhouse gas emission accounting and reporting and TCFD scenario analysis. In addition, he has conducted critical reviews of greenhouse gas lifecycle emission assessments of biofuels, biomass, and coal technologies and projects.
As an expert witness, Mr. Ditzel has been involved in matters related to biofuels, coal, crude oil, gas-to-liquids, natural gas, power generation, and retail sales impacts. He has testified before the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration, the London Court of International Arbitration, the U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. District Courts, and a state public utility commission.
Mr. Ditzel has authored numerous reports, presentations and articles, such as:
- Daniel, Tyler, Ditzel, Ken, Li, Fengrong, and Sutter, John, “Rough Seas or Calm Waters?” (LNG Market), February 2021
- De La Torre Ugarte, Daniel G. and Ditzel, Ken, “Economic Impacts to U.S. Biofuels, Agriculture, and the Economy from Subsidized Electric Vehicle Penetration,” prepared for the Agricultural Retailers Association, October 2020
- Connors, Peter, Ditzel, Ken, Emmet, Joshua, Li, Fengrong, “Review of Federal, State, and Regional Tax Strategies and Opportunities for CO2-EOR-Storage and the CCUS Value Chain,” prepared for the United Stated Department of Energy and the United States Energy Association, September 21, 2020
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and DeRubis, Mitch, “Feasibility Study for the Western Cape Integrated Liquefied Natural Gas Importation and Gas-to-Power Project,” prepared for the U.S. Trade and Development Agency, November 2019
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and DeRubis, Mitch, “Industry, Economic, and Environmental Impacts of Extending the Biodiesel Blending Tax Credit,” October 2019
- Scott Nystrom, Jack Tunstall, and Ken Ditzel, “The Economic Impact of America’s Electric Cooperatives,” March 2019
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nagle, Michael, Nystrom, Scott, O’Hare, Katie, and Venkateshwara, Venki, “The Biodiesel Industry: Impacts on the Economy, Environment, and Energy Security,” November 2018
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and DeRubis, Mitch, “The Economic Impact of Steel and Aluminum Tariffs,” FTI White Paper, August 2018
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Long, Gary, and Nystrom, Scott, “Steel Buyers Beware,” FTI Journal, November 2018
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and O’Hare, Katie, “The Economic, Fiscal, and Emissions Impacts of a Revenue-Neutral Carbon Tax,” FTI Whitepaper, July 2018
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and O’Hare, Katie, “Economic Impacts of an Infrastructure Bill on the Wood Products Value Chain,” FTI Whitepaper, January 2018
Awards & Recognition:
- George I. Treyz Award, Excellence in Economic and Demographic Analysis (2022)
- Consulting Magazine Award, Excellence in Environmental and Social Governance (2022)
- George I. Treyz Award, Excellence in Economic and Demographic Analysis (2018)
- George I. Treyz Award, Excellence in Energy, the Economy, and the Environment (2017)
Greenhouse Gas Protocol "Scope 3 Accounting and Reporting" Certification
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Virginia
M.B.A., Georgetown University
T: +1 703 966 1954
8251 Greensboro Drive
McLean, VA 22102