Matthew Johnston leads the Europe, Middle East and Africa turnaround offering within FTI Consulting’s Restructuring practice. With more than 25 years of experience, Matt specialises in supporting boards and senior management teams to help manage critical restructurings and accelerated turnarounds and transformations.
Matt’s restructuring and turnaround experience includes appointments as Chief Transformation Officer (“CTO”), Chief Restructuring Officer (“CRO”), CFO and advisor to clients in the logistics, medical devices, healthcare, manufacturing, media, biofuel, software and public sectors. He has led UK and international assignments, advising on strategic and financial matters including cost optimisation, cash and working capital management, business planning, transformations and formal insolvencies such as Chapter 11.
As a seasoned transformation leader, Matt is an expert in supporting clients to drive rapid performance improvement initiatives from strategy to execution all the way to the bottom line.
Prior to working at FTI Consulting, Matt was a Partner at McKinsey & Company and leader of their UK Transformation practice. He also served as a Managing Director and co-leader of the UK turnaround team at KPMG, a Director at AlixPartners and a restructuring and turnaround advisor at Andersen.
- CTO for $5 billion revenue global logistics business delivering £1 billion+ annual profit improvement
- CTO for £2 billion revenue FTSE 250 medical products business delivering £250 million+ holistic transformation
- CTO for £1.6 billion revenue, PE-owned specialty chemicals business delivering £200 million profit improvement
- CRO for UK’s largest bio fuel (ethanol) plant leading to sale of business to trade
- CTO for €2 billion services division of leading global software company
- Lead transformation adviser to a major UK REIT focused on shopping centres
- CTO to $2.5 billion revenue food ingredients/commodity business with €250 million+ annual EBIT improvements delivered
- Lead restructuring adviser to the UK’s largest operator of care homes
- CFO (permanent role) for UK’s 4th largest out of home advertising business leading to sale to JC Decaux
- Interim CFO for Europe’s largest safety shoe manufacturer
- Assistant CFO for leading travel guide company, supporting working capital & sale process to Pearson plc
- Various lead advisor roles to Chapter 11 estates including Refco, Exide, Genuty, Comdisco, Readers Digest
- Various formal insolvency and bank investigation engagements
T: +44 78 1493 6605
London EC1A 4HD
Restructuring / Turnaround Services
Strategic Planning and Implementation