McRae Thompson has more than 20 years of real estate and tax consulting experience, including a vast background in transaction advisory and management consulting. Mr. Thompson is a trusted advisor who is recognized as one of the industry’s leading transaction tax experts. Mr. Thompson has a long history of developing deep relationships with client executives, enabling him to help clients identify opportunities to add value and guide them through all business cycles.
Mr. Thompson has advised some of the largest asset managers, private equity funds, public and private real estate investment trusts (“REITs”), pension funds, insurance companies and other global investors in structuring billions of dollars of real estate transactions. These have included asset, portfolio and business acquisitions, dispositions and restructurings.
In addition, Mr. Thompson provides tax planning guidance across a wide variety of complex areas, including fund structuring, unrelated business taxable income (“UBTI”), Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (“FIRPTA”), cross-border structuring, real estate transfer pricing, mergers and acquisitions, debt restructuring, due diligence, REIT qualifications and conversions, partnership tax and general tax consulting.
Mr. Thompson also has deep experience in building, developing and motivating successful teams of professionals, including executives and highly diverse groups of individuals. Mr. Thompson provides practical, timely and creative advice, always looking for ways to develop solutions tailored to each unique situation.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Thompson was a partner and the U.S. Central Real Estate Tax Market Segment Leader at Ernst & Young. Prior to that, Mr. Thompson has held positions at Alvarez & Marsal and Deloitte.
- Advised numerous private equity funds and investors in connection with IPOs and subsequent public offerings, including REITs
- Structured open and close-ended real estate funds and acquisitions and dispositions on behalf of global asset managers
- Led due diligence and structuring assignments in connection with U.S. domestic and cross-border real estate sector transactions
- Advised clients in connection with the acquisition and disposition of business entities which converted into U.S. REITs
- Provided tax and business advice in connection with in-court and out-of-court financial restructurings involving billions of dollars
- Assisted clients in managing investor expectations with respect to after-tax returns involving cross-border investments
- Led negotiations on behalf of clients in relation to large scale M&A transactions, resulting in tens of millions of dollars in purchase price value delivered
- Worked across sectors converging with real estate, such as energy, TMT, health, retail, education, financial services and others
T: +1 240 968 8734
1201 W Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
Restructuring / Turnaround Services
Strategic Planning and Implementation
Tax Structuring & Tax Advisory Services