Pat Pericak is a Senior Managing Director in the Forensic & Litigation Consulting segment of FTI Consulting and is based in Washington, DC. Mr. Pericak specializes in assisting law firms and public and private companies in conducting complex investigations involving allegations of fraud, foreign bribery (FCPA), and money laundering violations, as well as violations of the securities and commodities laws and regulations. He also assists companies in developing and strengthening compliance programs, including by helping to enhance companies' policies, procedures, and internal controls. Mr. Pericak has almost twenty years of experience working on these types of matters.
For more than a decade, Mr. Pericak was a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Department of Justice, most recently serving in the FCPA and Securities and Financial Fraud Units of the Criminal Division's Fraud Section. Previously, he worked in the DOJ Tax Division, where he prosecuted criminal violations of the tax laws, as well as False Claims Act violations, and at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, where he prosecuted cases involving, among other things, money laundering and Medicare/Medicaid fraud.
Mr. Pericak also spent three years working as a senior associate and later a special counsel at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, LLP, where he conducted internal investigations for boards of public and private companies, and represented individuals in such matters. The matters involved, among other things, allegations of violations of the securities and other financial fraud laws, the FCPA, and the False Claims Act. In addition, Mr. Pericak worked for three years as an enforcement attorney at the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, where he worked on fraud and market manipulation matters in the futures and options markets.
During the course of his legal career, Mr. Pericak conducted hundreds of grand jury, internal, and regulatory investigations, tried more than twenty cases, including ten jury trials, argued a multitude of issues before federal district court judges sitting across the country, and made reports/presentations to boards of directors and executive officers at a variety of public and private companies.
Since joining FTI in September 2016, Mr. Pericak has led a variety of matters, including:
- Forensic accounting and data analytics support to a monitor in an FCPA case involving a global pharmaceutical company.
- Forensic accounting and data analytics support in an investigation of a trader at a private bank involved in the unauthorized trading and transfer of funds.
- Forensic accounting support in an investigation of transactions engaged in by prior owners and executives of a company.
- Collection, processing, hosting, and review of a large volume of documents in an investigation into unauthorized leaks of information to the media; the review included the use of data analytics to reduce the volume of documents that needed to be reviewed, and to identify the most pertinent communications.
- Due diligence investigation into an individual who used substantial connections within the highest levels of a foreign government to provide introductions to executives and owners of a domestic company that ultimately secured a highly lucrative contract with the foreign government.
- Forensic accounting and data analytics support in anti-corruption investigations in the Middle East for a global security contractor and in Colombia for a global construction company.
- Expert accounting advice and support to DOJ in an accounting fraud investigation.
- Expert testimony on liability and damages in an arbitration lawsuit involving a health insurance company and a healthcare consulting company.
- Calculation of profits realized from improper practices involving ADRs.
- Data analytics and other forensic support in an investigation for an automobile manufacturer related to certifications provided to the EPA.
- Expert testimony on damages in an employment matter arising out of alleged sexual harassment and discrimination of a former employee by managers at a financial institution.
Litigation Symposium for In-House Counsel: Second Circuit’s Recent Pushback on FCPA Jurisdiction - What to Expect in Enforcement, Government Cooperation and Compliance After US v Hoskins, October 24, 2018
AdvaMed Webinar: Anti-Corruption Enforcement & Compliance: A Spotlight on the Unique Risks Faced by the Life Sciences Industry, September 13, 2016
T: +1 202 312 9173
M: +1 202 674 9810
555 12th Street, NW
Washington, DC, 20004
Forensic Litigation Consulting