Sean Gilpin is a Managing Director in FTI Consulting’s Data & Analytics practice and is based in Frankfurt am Main. Sean has more than 15 years of experience in forensic data analytics focusing on investigations and the financial services industry.
Sean has led forensics projects concentrating on investigations, financial services, deals and data breaches in the German and U.S. markets. He has directed both preventive and retroactive projects. Additionally, Sean has experience in building managed services, blockchain competency and cloud initiatives.
Sean holds a B.S. in Mathematical and Computer Sciences with a minor in Economics from the Colorado School of Mines. He is a Certified Cryptocurrency Investigator as well as a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer, with a focus on C#.
- Served as the data analytic lead for a large German financial institution, managing the transformation of the compliance group; his areas of focus were on model and scenario development
- Provided multiyear support for the internal audit of a multiline food delivery service; he planned and managed global audits focusing on sanctions, counter terrorist financing and anti-money laundering
- Oversaw multiple sanctions projects to help companies during a geopolitical crisis in Europe; the team used innovative technology and managed services to help companies comply with multiple international guidelines (e.g., sanctions, export controls and corporate intelligence)
- Led a multiyear monitorship for a large German financial institution and architected a system to help the institution reply quickly and correctly to all inquiries
- Directed a data analytics team investigating a targeted breach of a global client’s legacy database, including profiling for personally identifiable and payment card information, visualizing to understand notification ramifications and partnering closely with client and legal to ensure all affected parties were notified and tracked