Steve McNew is Head of the Blockchain and Cryptocurrency practice. He provides strategic advice and expert services for companies looking to innovate with crypto assets and blockchain technology. An expert in digital currencies, blockchain and smart contracts, Mr. McNew has developed strategies for validating assets under control (AUC) in M&A engagements, evaluated the technological soundness of potential targets in due diligence pre-acquisition matters, developed large scale blockchain technology implementations using smart contracts development, AI and IoT devices, and provided forensic investigations expertise into disputes involving various forms of cryptocurrencies.
In addition to Mr. McNew’s work on crypto assets and blockchain, he leads large scale engagements for clients in data governance and data privacy, has authored an enterprise search patent application and has led a myriad of engagements related to emerging technologies and digital forensics for 32 years.
Mr. McNew has led projects involving the technological assessment of cryptocurrency exchanges, validating assets under control (AUC) of potential acquisition targets, blockchain assessments, pilot projects, blockchain strategy and implementation as well as investigations into disputes involving various forms of cryptocurrencies.
- Provided strategic advisory services to the parent company of a regulated global cryptocurrency exchange in the creation of a strategic market development plan in support of global expansion and preparation for listing on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Completed a full technical assessment and financial due diligence of an institutional digital asset custody, trading, and finance company in anticipation of acquisition by FTI Consulting’s client.
- Engaged by a global telecommunications company to architect and deploy a data governance and data privacy program for 3500 applications and 7000 structured databases to align to new requirements for the Department of Defense’s Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) and to the latest privacy regulations (GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA).
- Retained by a leading cryptocurrency fintech focused on trade and finance in relation to a class-action lawsuit over related party transactions as well as a scathing report from short seller market report.
- Provided expert investigative services for alleged theft and/or improper use of Bitcoin and Ether payments by performing asset tracing and forensic analysis. Prepared various written forensic reports detailing the investigative findings.
- Provided expert investigative services to counsel and their clients for investigation of alleged theft of Bitcoin, analysis of behavioral patterns of cryptocurrency movement to determine if the movement is consistent with known patterns of fraudulent behavior and develop various forensic reports.
- Retained for expert advisory services to assess reasonableness of the classification of cryptocurrency for insurance claims payment. Provided expert reports which will likely lead to testimony.
- Retained for expert blockchain implementation services for end-to-end product tracking of oil transport via railcar from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. Effort includes design and audit of blockchain solution, devising approach to contracts, writing and implementing smart contracts and off-chain payments.
Awards & Recognition:
- Who’s Who Legal: Experts - Digital & Data - Digital Forensic Experts (2019)