Tom Barce brings over 25 years of advisory experience in directing and managing information governance, electronic discovery and litigation support initiatives. Mr. Barce delivers strategic vision, consultative services and project management expertise, with extensive experience in helping corporations and law firms manage their data-driven risks and objectives.
Mr. Barce has assisted clients across a wide range of industries in the U.S. and internationally with implementing information governance programs, acting as an expert witness, responding to complex e-discovery demands, selecting and implementing strategic technology, leveraging analytics and predictive coding, evaluating and overseeing third-party service providers and conducting large and complex data migrations from disparate systems.
Mr. Barce has frequently written articles, conducted educational courses and spoken at conferences related to his areas of expertise. He has a particular passion for thought leadership, development of innovative solutions to help clients glean more value and predictability from their data, mitigate risks, bring efficiencies to the discovery process, simplify complex problems and identify critical issues early.
Mr. Barce is intimately familiar with all phases of the information governance and electronic discovery lifecycles from content creation, use and storage, records retention and disposition and identification of potentially relevant data through data collection, analysis, processing, review, quality control and production. He also holds many years of experience in leveraging workflows and data analytics technologies such as predictive coding, statistical sampling, concept clustering, concept search and other technology-enabled solutions to enhance data analysis and electronic discovery.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Barce held leadership positions for major international law firms and consulting organizations. He also participated on steering committees for the International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) and the East Coast Association of Litigation Support Managers (ECALSM).
- Delivered consulting services to assist a major private equity firm in all aspects of preparing and operationalizing an up to date records retention schedule, associated application inventory and legal hold procedures; and conduct defensible data disposition
- Expert witness and/or courtroom consulting expert regarding findings from forensic examination of electronic evidence in numerous matters involving alleged misappropriation of trade secrets, IP violations, contract disputes and alleged spoliation
- Oversaw and managed all aspects of electronic discovery for a major international financial institution required to respond to complex document requests from multiple regulatory agencies and opposing parties. Challenging factors included coordination between at least 6 law firms managing over 20 distinct matters, quality control, migration and management of over 15 TB of data for more than 150 custodians, oversight of more than 30 professionals and more.
- Directed all aspects of evaluation, implementation, management and maintenance of a sophisticated eDiscovery system with analytics and predictive coding for a major international law firm; also providing extensive guidance on the strategic use of predictive coding and advanced content organization techniques to significantly enhance efficiencies in the case assessment and document review process
Awards & Recognition:
- Who’s Who Legal: Consulting Experts - Future Leaders (2018 - 2021)
- Faculty, Commercial College of Arbitrators Seminar on eDiscovery (2019)
- Faculty, eDiscovery Technology Professional Certificate, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Professional Certificate Program (2018)
B. A., Economics, Certified Business Concentration, Fordham University
T: +1 646 229 1316
227 West Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60606
Computer Forensics & Investigations
E-discovery Software & Services