Amplifying the Importance of Parental Leave Equity
January 17, 2024DownloadsDownload Case Study
Following the COVID-19 pandemic, the lines between the workplace and home life are increasingly blurred, which is putting a strain on Australian employees, organizations and their families.1 In collaboration with UNICEF Australia, Parents At Work, an organization providing employee benefits through work and family education and policy advisory services, launched a report called Bridging the Work and Family Divide: Understanding the Benefits of Family Friendly Workplaces. The report explores the outcomes for organizations, employees and their families when family-friendly workplace policies and practices are both promoted and implemented.
Parents At Work partnered with professionals in FTI Consulting’s Strategic Communications segment to help amplify the launch of the report, as well as Parents At Work’s newly-launched Family Friendly Workplaces Program (“FFW”), a recognition framework that benchmarks and certifies employers as a “Family Inclusive Workplace.” FTI Consulting curated a targeted media campaign leading up to the launch of the report, which ultimately aimed to get more public and private companies to seek FFW certification.
Leading up to the launch of the report, FTI Consulting:
- Leveraged the report’s research findings and recommendations to develop key messages that were shared in press releases, op-eds, articles, FAQs and talking points for the announcement.
- Prepared media pitches to maximize coverage opportunities and reach decision makers across various industries.
- Leveraged high-profile speakers at the report’s launch event to gain media interest and coverage, including the CEO of Parents at Work, the Director of Australian Programs of UNICEF Australia and the co-CEO and Executive Chair of Impact Institute.
- Provided social media guidance to Parents At Work advocates to extend and amplify media and event coverage.
- Provided a press office function for Parents At Work both for the launch and in the month after.
Following the launch, FTI Consulting identified opportunities to leverage spokespeople, key quotations and research findings to secure additional media coverage and exposure for the report.
- FTI Consulting professionals dedicated approximately 40 hours to supporting Parents At Work to launch and promote the report.
- The team gained media traction by securing national, metro and trade press coverage, including syndicated broadcast and radio coverage for the report’s launch. Furthermore, the efforts included arranging an interview for Parents At Work CEO Emma Walsh on a prominent Australian news network.
- By leveraging research findings and content across a broad range of channels, FTI Consulting was able to extend interest and impact of the report.
- Following the launch of the report and the FFW, more than 20 large Australian employers across industry groups were early adopters of the standards and were the first in the country to be certified as FFWs.