Emerging Trends of Investing in Singapore for U.S. Investors - Tax
February 21, 2022
On January 11 and 18, 2022, our real estate practice co-hosted two presentations, respectively, with Dhruva Advisors, one of the largest tax and regulatory firms in India, which included opening remarks by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), a central bank and financial regulatory authority of Singapore. The webinar discussed the Emerging Trends of Investing in Singapore for U.S. Investors as it relates to tax and fund administration.
FTI Consulting’s Ashalata Shettigar, who specializes in U.S. taxation of private equity funds and international tax, shared insight into the United States tax component.
The webinar covered the following key objectives:
Overview of the Singapore Fund Management Industry
Singapore and India
- Singapore: preferred jurisdiction for fundraising from global investors
- Fund industry related developments in Singapore and in the region (including Singapore SPAC)
- India: key income-tax and exchange control developments
United States Tax
- Fund structures for U.S. investors investing in Singapore Variable Capital Company (VCC) and Indian Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs)
- Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) implications for Singapore funds/Indian AIFs
- U.S. entity tax classification elections for Singapore funds/Indian AIFs