- Managing Director
- T: +1 415 307 4956
- F: +1 213 689 1220
- 350 S. Grand Avenue
- Suite 3000
- Los Angeles, CA, 90071
- United States
- T: +1 213 689 1200
- F: +1 213 689 1220
- B.S., Management Information Systems, California Polytechnic State University
- Corporate Governance and Oversight Council (CGOC)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Chris Zohlen is a Managing Director based in the LA office. As a senior member of FTI Consulting's Technology Information Governance, Privacy and Security Services (IGP&S) practice, Chris brings more than 15 years of experience in information governance and legal technology to help legal, records, privacy, IT and information security departments identify, develop, evaluate and implement in-house e-discovery, privacy, and data governance processes and programs. Relying on his background in applying technology to transform and solve business challenges, Chris works with clients to create solutions that produce the largest ROI while simultaneously reducing risk.
Chris delivers a flexible approach and aims to work in collaborative partnership with clients across all ranges of engagements from targeted projects that address specific pain points, to highly complex, multi-year implementations. His technical expertise across the continuum of leading archiving and data solutions ensures that clients are getting the most customized and effective solutions to meet their needs. Alongside the IGP&S team, Chris aims to drive new solutions that address clients evolving needs.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Chris was the Business Unit Executive for IBM’s Information Lifecycle Governance business. He was also the VP of PSS Systems’ Business Consulting practice and has held roles at Deloitte Consulting and Nuix. During his more than 20-year career, he has worked extensively in e-discovery software, and consulted on issues involving legal hold, privacy, retention and defensible disposal.
Representative examples of Chris’s client engagement experience include:
- Consulted with a $4B Technology company in their readiness for GDPR, provided a maturity assessment, built the personal data inventory and provided remediation recommendations based on GDPR core principles. Performed similar engagements for clients in the computer hardware, oil & gas, and life sciences industries.
- Served as the Information Governance Advisor for a privately held manufacturer in their Office 365 SharePoint Records Management initiative; responsible for building their requirements and selection process.
- Provided attestation report for a global 5 banking client and their transition of email archives.
- Consulted with a Top 5 global financial services client to assess information lifecycle management cost and risk, and designed architecture to achieve e-discovery, archiving and records management objectives while decreasing both cost and risk.
- Worked with Fortune 20 health services provider to build an IT storage remediation effort resulting in $11M annual maintenance savings.
- Consulted with large telecommunications company to build a detailed financial justification around IG practices; successfully implemented legal holds process and technology to support the IG program.
- Consulted with a Top 10 Bank in the establishment an IG Program leveraging the CGOC methodology for risk, maturity and financial metrics. Prepared a multi-year roadmap encompassing people, process and technology.
Chris’s selected publications:
- Survey Shows In-House Teams’ Data Protection Concerns”, Today’s General Counsel, Summer 2018
- 10 ways organizations can succeed with data remediation”, Information Management, May 18, 2018
- Data Issues Keeping Counsel up at Night (and Concerns for 2018)”, Bloomberg Law, Big Law Business, February 23, 2018
- Advice from Counsel, State of the Union on Data Privacy and Security”, February 2018
- Five Ways Legal and Compliance Teams Can Benefit from Office 365 Migration”, Cybersecurity Law & Strategy, July 2017
- Records Management – Overcoming barriers to gain rewards”, KMWorld, April 2017